YAY! Another New (to me) Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could do a blue Cray for the bottom dweller I'm sure your son would love it then some sort of a mid to high swimmer that has the same water paramaters as the Cray being a guy I would have loved to have a Cray as a pet when I was younger.

It's funny you mentioned the cray. My son and I were just discussing that tonight actually. I asked if he'd like a blue one and he asked if they came in pink. *hides face* lol! I'm a little concerned about the dead bugs all over this thing. I've had some pretty dirty tanks before, hard water, algae (red,brown,green,black) but this is a first for me to have one with bugs?

It's funny you mentioned the cray. My son and I were just discussing that tonight actually. I asked if he'd like a blue one and he asked if they came in pink. *hides face* lol! I'm a little concerned about the dead bugs all over this thing. I've had some pretty dirty tanks before, hard water, algae (red,brown,green,black) but this is a first for me to have one with bugs?

I'm not sure about pink lol. I've seen blue white.the regular red ones they also come in dwarf size. Then there's the viper shrimp there awesome I have a ligtly planted 20 I was thinking about getting one not sure if I can or not yet ask do not yet know what paramaters they need but they sure are neat. personally I would do a blue Cray a pair of apistos and a lf albino pleco and then a few schooling fish like tetras or something of the sort. Can't wait to hear what y'all decide and can't wait to see pics of the finished product. And sorry but I'm not any help with the bugs.

I'm debating making this tank planted. I'm trying my hand at a planted bowl for my very first experience with plants. Depending on how that goes will decide whether this tank gets them too. It's going to be a slow process with this tank. I have to run everything by my nine year old boss. Who tends to change his mind more than his under-roos! Lol!

lol! kids right? They get us into all kinds of fun! I must remember to thank them for keeping things exciting around here *winks*

What about a shell dweller tank? They are neat little fish! I think they are so cool!

I like to use baking soda for gentle abrasive cleaning, and vinegar and baking soda are fun! lol Helps freshen. Salt too, if its glass. Razor blade! Very gently Mr Clean magic eraser or equivalent realizing sand particles stuck in any rags or sponges can scratch.

That is a lot of yuck for only 4 months!

What about a shell dweller tank? They are neat little fish! I think they are so cool!

I'll have to look some up. I'm not exactly sure if I've seen any. Unless you're talking about isotopes? Spelling may be off there. The ones that have long pointy tails and shrimp like legs with round oval ish shells?

I like to use baking soda for gentle abrasive cleaning, and vinegar and baking soda are fun! lol Helps freshen. Salt too, if its glass. Razor blade! Very gently Mr Clean magic eraser or equivalent realizing sand particles stuck in any rags or sponges can scratch.

That is a lot of yuck for only 4 months!

Oh GOOD to know! Thank you so very much! I totally forgot about baking soda. Maybe I'll give it a baking soda soak before I scrub. After I first make a volcano by adding the vinegar to the soaking soda ;-)

Mabey he's not then I was told by someone they only get a few inches but he could have been wrong. And by shell dwellers are u talking about shell dwelller cichlids by any chance

I didn't know demasonis were dwarf cichlids?? I have a blue one in my 65 gal. He's growing same rate as everyone else.

Demasonis are NOT dwarf cichlids. They max at around 6 inches and prefer to be in groups of 10-15. I recommend huge tanks for them. And yes, shell dwellers are cichlids.

Demasonis are NOT dwarf cichlids. They max at around 6 inches and prefer to be in groups of 10-15. I recommend huge tanks for them. And yes, shell dwellers are cichlids.

Thank you for that info I'm still finding out stuff I was told before finding this site is wrong lol. Sorry :banghead:

live and learn right? its all good! I sat my son down after googling images of all the fish we've been discussing. I told him all the options ex. what will live with what, how many need to live together etc.. Out of 20 options and after looking at various you tube videos (he wanted to see how they swim) He's picked kuhli loaches, pencil fish, neons and still undecided about apistos or killifish.. I told him and please feel free to correct me..
He could do
4 kuhli loaches
4 pencil fish
4 neons
2 apistos or
4 killifish
I was wondering though, since killifish stay very small and their bio load is small as well would it be possible to do a pair (or a single) apisto as well as the killifish?
Or do you think it would be maxing out this tank?

live and learn right? its all good! I sat my son down after googling images of all the fish we've been discussing. I told him all the options ex. what will live with what, how many need to live together etc.. Out of 20 options and after looking at various you tube videos (he wanted to see how they swim) He's picked kuhli loaches, pencil fish, neons and still undecided about apistos or killifish.. I told him and please feel free to correct me..
He could do
4 kuhli loaches
4 pencil fish
4 neons
2 apistos or
4 killifish
I was wondering though, since killifish stay very small and their bio load is small as well would it be possible to do a pair (or a single) apisto as well as the killifish?

I would say 1 apisto and 4 killifish would work. I would go with Pygmy cory cats instead of kuhlis, they tend to hide a lot and you never see them.

He could do
4 kuhli loaches
4 pencil fish
4 neons
2 apistos or
4 killifish

Lol sorry how big is this tank?

Back
Top Bottom