Yayy!! a turtle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyLuva

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey I got a turtle from my mom's friend. He was like going to florida so he asked if she could keep it as a pet, well she said yeah of course my daughter(me) would love him. I really didn't know we were getting one until I came home from my buds house. I was like MOM!! There's a turtle on a counter!!! I'm not like that now though. I don't even know what kind of turtle he is. So it would be appreciated if anyone could give me the basic info of keeping one. His name is Thomas by the way, he is in a big glass bowl like meant for turtles. His bowl is kinda dirty so I wanted to clean it but not sure how to. I also wonder if it's possible if you could hold and does it bite? Also are you suppose to use a declhorinator like you use for fish? What veggies does it eat? Also my mom's friend said to feed 4 pellets is that true? Also one more thing I don't see it eat and i'm sorda worried. Sorry if this is alot of questions and sorry if I put this in the wrong forum, becuase I dont know where to post this. Any other basic info like tempature of water etc. is apreciated in advanced!!!!
~>Myni<~

actually my brother picked him up and I was on the computer he scared me the heck out of me!!! Fortunally he doesnt bite and I really dont know how to post pictures on here and already read the instructions but couldnt understand them. If someone could say differntly it might help.

use photobucket.com to upload some pictures.. when you post pictures just type in [.img]url[/img.] (take out the .) and it will post the image.

ok I'm sorry but I can't understand the end part of what you said. But I am almost 100% sure that it's a red eared slider turtl becuase of the shell pattern and the red spot on his head.

what I don't get is where exactly where to put it in and which period to erase and if I need to do something else

you put it in the message box... and the periods in the [.img]url[/img.]

i have to put the periods in there to make it not disappear thinking its a picture..
is this better?
remove the period....
[periodimg]url[/imgperiod]

hello can someone please help me I'm not really getting my questions answered I really need some good information about the basic care of turtles

sorry michaelslilgray I'll figure out how to post pictures when I can but for now how about we just stick with red eared slider turtles=)

ok starting with sum info and questions anyone know what tempature they need to be in and when and how to clean it's home? Also my mom said that if it bites you it won't let go and you have to cut off his head is that really true or my mom has wrong information?

You'll probably find that as with most groups of animals, just as not all species of fish are the same, neither are all species of turtle. You really need a positive ID on the beast before you can get any firm advice.

Some are easier than others to care for, some are aggressive, try and post the pic and someone will help I'm sure.

Either that, or just type what you think it is into google images, if your right, you'll see lots of pics of your turtle. If not try googling 'turtle care' there's some good sites out there, just like this one, but reptile based.

As a start though, do you have a uv light for the turtles enclosure. These are essential to most (all?) reptiles if they are to utilise the calcium in their diet. Or are you in a warm part of the states (sorry i'm in the UK) where the turtle can spend at least some time outside everyday. He may also need a basking light also (not sure on that though).

If your not in a warm area, do you have a heater in the enclosure, and I'm pretty sure you'll need form of filtration?

Can't help anymore without the species, I've never kept turtles, but had lots of reptiles in my time.

Ad

I'm in the north (Maryland) but it warmer than last year i think it becuase of global warming. well I don't have a light but my mom friend had kept him in the sun whenever he can and had him 4 3 years and still alive. In my area I have a little snow on the ground but will all problay melt sumwhere tomorow. we had hardly had snow like this since mid jan. I have a heater but the water is too low for the hear=(. But I'm sure he's fine for now even if there's snow on the ground because you would only need a light jacket with short sleeves just to go out. But I'll try to keep him warm.

wow.. your really going to blame global warming on it being warmer?.. you realize that hole in the ozone is over Australia right xD

and if global warming is real.. why is it 30 degrees in texas =P

but really do you really have to cut a turtles head off if it bites you and doesnt let go????

Mate, please do your research, don't assume that because he's alive he's healthy. Reptiles NEED UV light, without it his bones could become soft.
If you mean he'll be fine for a couple of days untill I sort out the correct equiptment, then I appologise.
I'm not trying to sound patronising, neither am I trying to be nasty in any way. I had a lot to do with a reptile rescue charity over here, and saw so many horrible cases of reptiles not given the correct care it was saddening. Brittle bones, ulcers, malnourished.

Reptiles aren't simple pets to care for. Good luck with him, I mean it, with proper care he'll make a great addition to your home for many years to come.:D
Ad

Back
Top Bottom