Yellow colored water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trueblue8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I am currently undergoing a fishless cycle process for my new 75 gallon awuarium. It’s been approximately 2 days and the water is yellow with a slight odor. Its not coming from the heater as I smelled it.

I am using fluval, fx6 and caribsea supernaturals sand substrate.

Since i am new to the hobby, can someone please suggest what might be causing this? The ph levels are around 7.4 and i have no driftwood. 56FF6B9F-773B-48DB-8570-B4032682B78A.jpg

Biological bloom is normally a milky white colour. Perhaps yours is looking yellowish because its picking up the colour of the wall behind? Do you think it might be that?

Biological bloom is normal in a newly established tank and will clear up in a week or 2 as the tank establishes and the nutrients get used up.

On another topic, you might want to consider a black background for your aquarium. It will hide all the equipment at the back and make everything you want to pop out.

While yes, with the cycle, your tank will appear "millky" for awhile. Another couple things to think about:

1. Did you wash your sand? Basically when you get sand, there is a lot of fine dust in it. You generally want to put the sand in a bucket, jam a hose down tot he bottom and run the water. Mixing up the sand every now and again, until the water is clear. If you don't your tank could be cloudy for weeks if not longer and that particulate will muck up the impeller in the filter.
2. Did you rinse off the filter media in your filter? All that stuff is extremely dusty.

Back
Top Bottom