Yellow Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m.bug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I've recently set up a 20 gal, and I've started stocking the tank. It's going slow (i'm an impatient type) but I'm doing my best.

Anyway, I've got a few more fish to add, but after that I've got about 6 inches left of fish that are available, and I'm thinking I'd really like to have a nice big yellow fish, or maybe even a lot of little yellow fish.

I think a little zing of yellow would look fantastic in the tank. Any suggestions? I wanted Yellow Balloon Belly Mollies, but they are Brackish and none of my other fish are, so that kind of flew out of the window.

By the time I put the yellow fish(s) in the tank, it will have

1 Male Betta
2 Female Betta
4 Skunk Corys
2 Mystery Snails
2 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami

Thanks.

You will probably have a bit more space before long...chances are that male and female betta will start beating on each other once they are more settled...and chances are only one (if that) will survive. That being said, there really isn't anything truly yellow that could go in your tank besides perhaps a yellow platy.

i was worried about that(the male and female betta together) but i thought id give it a try. so far they barely notice each other. he hasnt once flared his gills at either of them. he doesnt seem to realize that they are betta. i was more worried about him with the gourami. they are still quarentined in a 10 gal.
it is a tough thing deciding what to put in a tank together. any other suggestions about fish i can put in with what ive got so far would help.
and if the male and females do become non-compatible, i would take him out and leave them in.

What about some lemon tetras?

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/characins/lemon.php

I agree that the bettas will probably not live together peacefully for long and their may even be trouble with the bettas vs the gouramis.

But a small school of lemon tetras might give you the splash of yellow you are looking for. They're not bright yellow like some cichilds but more of a hint of yellow.

my mistake it says max size 1 foot lol it should be ok though they will probably grow really slowly and u can keep it untill u purchase another larger tank.

I just bought some golden barbs which are pretty cool. I have a yellow balloon molly, and she's had babies, and she's very healthy and has been alive and very active the entier time I've had her. She started out in a tank with some aquarium salt added, but then I got cories so I only added about 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium salt. She was fine in both cases, just as happy, just as lively, eating just as much. I wouldn't throw out the idea of a molly, I love mine. There's also, temporarily, a yellow platy in my tank (my sisters), and he is quite beautiful. He's bigger than the molly, so if you want a larger fish than the molly, although I think it reallyd epends on the molly on how big they get. Good luck!

Oh, by the way, I started with a 10 gallon tank, then temporarily had the fish in a 20 gallon for the summer before upgrading to the 36 gallon bowfront I have now. I wish I would have thought more before buying the ten gallon, that was about 130 wasted dollars setting up for a tank that now sits unused... oh well. The bowfront looks awesome :)

mr funktastic said:
golden algea eaters!! thats the answer. they are a bright yellow and it says that they only get up to one inch. it also says minimum tank size is 30 gallon but u should be ok. i have a link u can check out to see if u like them

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=938

yea, i like those a lot. very yellow... unfortunately for me i dont know when i will be able to upgrade. i will definitely keep them in mind though.

is it ok for the rest of my fish to add 2 teaspoons of salt if i did get a molly? i have 2 cories, 1 male betta, 2 female betta, 2 apple snails.

Mollys do not need salt. They are all tank raised, dont worry about what it says in the books or on line. They will be fine without any salt.

The 130 for the 10 gallon would be including tank, stand, light bulbs, filter, rocks, food, fish, decorations, heater, thermometer, replacement filters, all kinds of things. I bought like 4 mollies and a couple cories I believe that day, so that was something between 10 and 15 right there.

Also, something I remember reading about, if your fish start to get sick or ich or anything, adding salt or removing salt (basically changing the ammount) can help fight it. I'm not sure if this is true or not, I've never had any problems (thankfully). So, if you do add some salt for the mollies, add a little less than the fish can stand so you can add a little more if there is a problem. Again though, my mollies have thrived on between no salt and 2 tablespoons per 5 gallons. My snails and cories did just fine on 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.

Some people find corys to be salt tolerant to an extent but I personally would avoid using salt in any tank that has catfish.

Back
Top Bottom