Yellow lab and brush algae, seeking confirmation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've noticed some very strange behavior, and I'm curious whether anyone else has seen it.

I recently (four days or so) moved a yellow lab from my cichlid tank to my planted tank. Let's just say it was a "mistake" in stocking, but I did it anyway.

Two days ago my girlfriend commented that it was attacking my Madagascar lace. I've been battling brush algae for quite a while now, and strangely, it seemed as if the lab was eating the algae.

Two days later and the brush algae in the tank is decimated. He seems to be painstakingly clearing up the lace...but the other plants have had it obviously removed as well. I've never heard of a cichlid as a great algae cleaner, especially something as evil as BBA. I've seen no damage to the plants themselves, but he's been faster than anyone could hope a SAE could be.

Sounds as if you've come across a rare Labidochromis algaeeatumuptis. :wink:

Can't say that I've ever heard of such a thing and since the madgascar lace is delicate in and of itself, the fact that it didn't get decimated along with the algae is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom