Yellow mystery snail floating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerene

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I feel so helpless. One of my two yellow mystery snails are floating. He is somewhat exposed so I think he is alive but not sure if this is a normal behavior. What should I do? Is there something wrong with him (her?)
Thanks for your help.

Hello Jerene! I am new to aquariums but I just added a Yellow Apple Snail to my tank so I did a bit of reading on them (I don't think there is too much difference between the two). A snail will float for several reasons. It could be that the snail doesn't like where it is and is trying to float "down stream" or it could be that the water parameters are off. If they have a lot of air in their lungs or "trapped air", the snail will float. It does not mean that something is wrong or that the snail is dead. Just make sure to check on him/her everyday and do a "sniff test". I read that snails smell very bad once they have died (like rotten eggs). He/she may just be taking a break or hiding. Hopefully your snail will latch onto something sooner or later. I hope this helped. Keep me posted.

Nicole

Yes this is very true, snails smell absolutely awful when they die. You can just reach in and pick your snail up and see what it does and take a whiff. Bad smell =dead snail. Sometime they will float around plants at weird angles looking for food. Applesnail.net is a very helpful website on the apple/mystery snails

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh and it doesn't hurt the snail at all to be out of water for a short period. They climb out of the water to lay eggs so don't worry about hurting the snail by lifting it out of the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom