Yellow rabbit snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've heard these guys are livebearers and that they need brackish water for there young. Does anyone know the real skinny on these. I think they're called swasili snails or something, I know its misspelled.

They don't need brackish. They do best in a pretty high pH. I would advise against keeping them in anything less than 7.0. They are livebearers, but they produce very slowly. A male and a female is required for reproduction. The yellows are my favorite..totally gorgeous. They are actually tylomelania snails.

Sulawesi. :)

We have been breeding them here for some time. They breed slowly; as I understand it, the female will pop out a baby snail (actually an egg on the verge of hatching I believe) every 3-4 weeks. Our water is soft here with a low pH so we add cuttlebone and calcareous rock (ex- SW live rock, soaked and rinsed) to the Tylomelania tanks to increase pH and hardness. Other than that, you just have to feed them and they'll pop out babies sooner or later. They're pretty much impossible to sex so start with a group to maximize your chances of getting both sexes.

Yeah I intend to buy some from Forsyth aquatics when money permits.

hehe That's her (severum mama's) site..not sure if you already knew that. ;) I've ordered them from her three times. Definitely the best deal on them I've seen.

siva said:
hehe That's her (severum mama's) site..not sure if you already knew that. ;) I've ordered them from her three times. Definitely the best deal on them I've seen.

I thought it was!

Back
Top Bottom