Yet another 55g challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captainGregor

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have 55g freshwater setup with soft (softened) alkaline water (Ph 7.6) and have several live plants. I currently have 3 clowns, 4 corys, 5 otos, 4 angels that I want to keep. I also have 6 zebras, 2 rozy barbs, and 4 platys that are leftover from other tanks/cycling. I want to take them back to LFS and they will take it. Here is the challenge:
What are other tankmates I can choose to be OK with angels, that will not outcompete them for food, be colorful and fun?
I had this thought:
a school of marble hatchets (Carnegiella strigata) - 6
4 to 6 bolivian rams (Microgeophagus altispinosa)
and MAYBE school of tetras (rummy-nose or other)

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated

It sounds like the tank is fairly full biowise (Remember, those loaches get to a foot)..

I'm not sure what you could add though that would be good with the angels. The angels, being cichlids, can still be rather territorial and aggressive (especially at night)..

It seems like the angels are currently the only thing in the tank you'd ever see out in the open, so I can understand why you want some more fish. I want to suggest beunos aires tetras. They're fast (Almost zebra speed), grow fairly large (3 in, MAYBE even 4, huge tetras), and constantly swim about. They'd hit your 'food competition' worries though, as they are aggressive feeders (Ie, they act like oscars when eating..)

They're also known to nip other fish if they're hungry. If you feed them enough though, they're AWESOME fish. I'd call them large zebra danio+tetra+tiger barb fish :)

Actually, I see them all in the open. Loaches and corys are roaming around at all times. Loaches will take at least 5 years to reach about 7-8 inches so I have some time before I need to move them. As far as angels, during the day they cannot get anything to eat because of zebras, barbs, and platys. So these have to go. I am open to all opinions!

I have a planted 55 in which I have 3 huge black veil angels. Their tank mates are.
5 Kuhli loaches
5 otos
4 Black skirt tetras
6 rasbora
8 rummy nose tetras
2 giant gouramis

I think it's a great mix of fish and very soothing to watch. JMO

Hi.

I would add a couple more ottos, the rams and a small school of 6-8 tetras. I would avoid any of the smaller tetras that could end up as a snack for the angels such as neons. Perhaps Black phantom or lemon tetras. :D

Bryan

Why get rid of those fish?

Just feed at one end of the tank, then train the angels to go to the other end where you'll drop in a litle bit just for them.

You keep your fish and food is no longer a worry. :)

I would prob add a school of large tetras (small tetras stand a chance of being eaten; don't forget neons are angelfish food in the wild, so any fish around that size is fair game) or the hatchets and thats it. I've 6 angelfish, 3 clown loaches, 3 yoyo loaches and a plec in my 55g and I consider myself overstocked. Keep in mind angels need around 10g each, and your clowns will be near a foot long in the future when they mature.

I have serpae tetras in with my angel and though they are relatively barb-like in their behavior, the angel has no trouble getting food and they provide a lovely red color to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom