Yet another lighting thread *Amazing!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did not mean to imply that you need to watch out for algae because you got actinic lighting, I meant that anytime you increase your lighting you give more of an opportunity for algae. My low light tanks never had a bit of algae until I upped the wattage, even by what I thought was a little.

That said, your total WPG is still pretty low, though going by the pics it looks considerably brighter than that.

TankGirl said:
I did not mean to imply that you need to watch out for algae because you got actinic lighting

Sorry TG, I didn't mean to imply that you had implied that :p You've mentioned before that you've got actinics over some of your planted tanks so I know you speak from experience. I think I'm on some sort of crusade to dispell the myth of actinics causing algae. That, and I just love the way they look :D

Travis, you totally lost me on that post. :D I only know the basics of lighting. I was under the impression that 50/50 and Actinic bulbs wouldn't be a big deal for algae. Meaning that it wouldn't get out of control in my tank setting. After reading your post, it SEEMS that you were kind of saying the same thing. But I may be way out in left field on that. Am I thinking in the right direction?

TG- The tank is considerably brighter. It glows. Last night I just sat there staring at it. It just took my breath away. The pic that I took just doesn't do it justice. Also, From your previous post, I didn't read it thinking that BECAUSE of the Actinic lighting that I would have more algae. I got what you were saying, increasing wattage = increasing algae. :D I think we're on the same page. The tank went from .26 wpg to .8 wpg. That's a CONSIDERABLE difference, but still pretty low. If Algae starts to show, I'll know why. If I had this tank planted, NO plants would have survived in it. :D Isn't .26 wpg pretty low? :D

.26 wpg is very very low for plants.. .8 is still low for plants. I was assuming that you might have gotten some information about actinic's causing algae as well.. Not TankGirl but Ive seen it on AA since I joined. I personally think your way in the clear considering very little of your new light will be usable by algae unless of course you leave the light on for 18 hours a day! LOL.
I repeat.. I did not see any post were TankGirl suggested that actinic light would be likely to cause algae growth..repetition over... Sorry if it seemed I even suggested such a thing! 8O :mrgreen:

This tank definately wont' be planted, so the watts really isn't an issue. Although, it looks like it has more than .8 wpg. Then again, that's probably just the blue tinting.

Back
Top Bottom