Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yo-Yo Loach biting Bala Shark

I have a tank with a Clown Loach, a Rainbow Shark, a Bala Shark and a Yo-Yo Loach. I have read that Loaches are quite friendly fish, but the Yo-Yo Loach is always running after the Bala Shark and it keeps biting it.

The Bala looks like it lost some scales from biting. I have asked here and there and I have been told that it is maybe because the Bala is sick and the Loach is trying to kill it to avoid spreading of the disease.

The Bala looks healthy with no unusual attitude and no signs of any disease.

Any ideas?

Old 07-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yo-Yo loaches are a lot more aggressive than most loaches. Possibly giving the yo yo away or separating them somehow like a tank divider
Old 07-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

How big is this tank anyway? Bala sharks get huge and need schools of 6 or more to feel comfortable and safe, as they are rather timid fish. Clown loaches also get big and need schools. If I'm not mistaken, Rainbow Sharks and Yo-Yo loaches get pretty large too, although not as much as the former two species.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

@TrueEnvy thank you so much for the advice.

@superpeytonm it is a 200ltr tank and I am slowly stocking it. I am a beginner in the aquarium community hence the wrong combination of fish. 6 months onwards though without a loss and with the water parameters looking good, I am loving the hobby even more, so I am thinking about putting some more planning and thinking into it.

Thank you for the advice! Much appreciated!
Old 07-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Superpeytonm is indeed correct, both bala sharks and clown loaches need schools and bigger tanks. Will indeed be a problem as they all grow.

Tags
bala, biting, loach, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com