You will not believe what I found...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wendy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tiny, baby Tiger Shovelnose Catfish in not just one, but several of the local petstores in my area. For $13. Of course there isn't a mention of how large this fish gets or the fact that it needs a 150 gallon tank MINIMUM, or even that it has the nickname "Tank Buster". I can't believe it. I saw these in at least 3 stores tonight. I can just vividly imagine someone buying one of these and sticking in their 5 gallon aquarium... I am the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? I mean it's one of the only four fish on Freshwater Fish FAQs listed simply as "Not Recommended"...

I used to keep one in a 55 gal. The fish does fine with equally aggressive (and larger), fish. The big draw back was it would only eat live food so constant trips to the lfs for feeder guppies and goldfish

One of the big LFS in my area carries them regularly. They sell just about any size you want, but they also have full grown ones in their display tanks so they're not really hiding the fact that it gets huge.

Its really a beautiful catfish. I only wish they didn't get so big!

Yup. All my LFSs have them... Almost bought one myself once upon a time!

Lima Shovelnoses, too.

3 feet I believe.

A shame!!

There's a four foot one at the local aquarium here. truly a beautiful fish. I would recommend more than 150g though. They wouldn't even have any room to turn around in that!

Yeah, they've got some new *contributions* at Hanover Pet--three large Red-Tailed Catfish, one at about 2.5 feet. All in a 100 Gallon which is FAR too small for them. They really need a new home. Wish I could give them the 2000 gallons they really need!

All these postings are bound to start an avalanche of ethics-talk...

Back
Top Bottom