Your ' Career ' With Fish ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grant R

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Was just curious, ( this could also be classed as a follow on from the ' what made you want a frehwater aquarium ' post ) , how many years experience do you have in freshwater fishkeeping & what are your best & worst experiences ?

Although I've only been going a short time, the best thing for me was hearing the successful results of correct water at the local shop after my tank had cycled.

Worst would have to be when my ClownLoach died last Saturday. Dissapointing, but as I said, things like this should be looked upon as a beneficial experience, not a nuisance.

8)

Been doing this for about a year now.
Worst experience:
When my 6 Angels developed ICH, only one died :lol: .
Best experience:
When my wife said buy a BIGGER tank.

This is a great idea for a thread.

My best experience was collecting local marine life and keeping a tank of them for about 6 months, it wass very cool to have all stuff you collected yourself. Only kept it that long because I didn't have the money for a chiller and they needed cold water, plus it was a very demanding tank. It was still massivley cool, and I will do it again someday.

As for the worst, one day soon I'm going to start a TANK DISASTER thread in the lounge. I've got some really horrble stories, butthat will take longer than i have here today.

I started sometime in June 1997 and then stopped keeping fish Oct 1997. This was because I moved from Salt Lake City, Utah to Virginia and didn't think the fish would survive the move. It took me with my family 4 and a half days to drive.

I started again some time in 1999 and have been keeping fish ever since.

My worst experience was when I move all my fish to a friends house while we had no where to live (there was a shortage of housing in Northern Virginia) and since I didn't do it right (I left the fish in the tank after removing most of the water) they all stressed out and only 2 of about 20 survived. One of those (the pleco) I still have today.

My best experiences are my success at breeding livebearers and saving most of the babies from hungry fish.

fish

I started keeping fish back in about 1980 with a 10 gallon tank and one African Cichlid. Didn't know anything...was just plain lucky and that was one tough fish. He survived everything I could do to him for about 3 years. The worst experience I have ever had was when my Oscar and pleco just died overnight for no apparent reason...had them both for about 5 years...still don't know what did them in. The best experience I have had was breeding corydoras catfish. They are such neat little fish!
Logan J

Had the same thing Logan,

A couple of my Angels just up'ted and left for waters blue one day, and also no cause??

i agree with about the cories. very interesting when mine bred.

but i'd have to say the best experience is just having my green spotted puffer. he's a good fish.

worst, i experimented with diy co2 and killed a tank... :cry: ph went from 8 to 6 a little quicker than the fish liked. horrible mistake, but i learned my lesson. another bad experience occured after i put in a new bulb. i turned it on, and the thing blew up two feet from my face. bad bulb...

Started back in 2000 with a free 10 gallon from a friend.
Worst exp: All my fish died except for a raphael when I added 2 snails and this was 2 weeks ago. :cry:
Best exp: Getting a 29 gallon Sea Clear Show Tank and Magnum 350 Pro for free at a giveaway from a local pet store.

It all started for me back in 1975 with a 10g community tank. It compounded into 2 community tanks (30g & 20g) and a 10g quarantine tank. Six years later (1981), I went to college, got engaged, started working, ... Gave up the tanks.

Just got back into it about 1 month ago... Have a 30g show tank and a 15g quarantine.

Am currently looking for a new tank somewhere between 50g - 75g.

I have done alot of reading / research in the last month or so and I am overwhelmed by all the resources available on the internet, that weren't available to me when I was first in the hobby.

I could write a book on all the things that you shouldn't do, however, I am truly surprised that I didn't kill more fish than I did.

Best Experience: Getting my ten gallon and filling it with all my freinds (including my new sailfin pleco i got last nite!)

Worst: Having a bad occurance and many fish died (2 tetras, common pleco, two kulhis) and having to flush them.

2nd Best: Getting all worried when my fish got his tail bit off by the chinese algae eater, and then seeing my whole school (9 at the time) attack the algae eater! I flushed him alive after some torture but im glad the tetras are freinds.

Ive had fish a long time ago when i was a kid, i dont think they did very well i cant remember, i recently got reintroduced to it and got a 10 gal. goldfish tank to gain experience, then the other day I got my brother in laws 25 eclipse for free with a stand and supplies.

I think the best moment so far was when i got the new 25 gal. and setting it up.

The worst is probably when this fantail i got for the small tank died, it was sick from the start :(

Back
Top Bottom