Your Dream Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm beggining the research for the 75 gallon tank that I just purchased and I'm finding this to be quite the task! There are a few fish that I'd love to get, but I can't because they won't get along with the other fish. A couple of examples: 1) I'd love to get a mixture of Tiger Barbs and Albino Tiger Barbs, but that wouldn't work so well with Count (my Sailfin Pleco) and 2) I'd love to try some Blue Rams (yes, I'm aware of how sensitive they are), but from what I'm gathering they really shouldn't be kept with Bolivian Rams. It's kind of frustrating to see that even with such a large tank that my options still seem sort of limited. :roll:

So anyway, my question to you is what would your dream community stock look like if every fish was compatible?

every fish i can?! well not depending on tank size i would love to be able to have my baja shark, silver tipped shark, siamese algae eater, red tailed shark, columbian shark, bulldog pleco, oscar, red zebra chiclid, yellow lab chiclid, kenyi chiclid, going oldschool with goldfish, some gouarmis,cories, then some eels but ofcourse it would be planted. that would be my tank if only every got along :(
that would be hell of a tank too lol

I hate to disagree but Bolivians and German Blues can be kept together:

fishfeb2006007.jpg

I have these guys sharing space with: Angels, cories, bristlenose pleco's, Sailfin Pleco, lamp eye and serpae tetras.

HTH

Jchillin said:
I hate to disagree but Bolivians and German Blues can be kept together:

I have these guys sharing space with: Angels, cories, bristlenose pleco's, Sailfin Pleco, lamp eye and serpae tetras.

HTH
Hmmmmm.... either you're the lucky one who got the right fish or it IS possible to keep the two together! :lol: You don't have any problems with keeping these two together? Quite a few of the sites I've gone to have said it shouldn't be attempted. The same goes for Angels and Bolivians. You're giving me hope with your stocking list!! :)

It may have more to do with the sexing/territorial issues than anything else. The GBR's are older @ 1 year and they are all males. The bolivians are @ 4 months old and were introduced as juvies.

I may indeed be lucky, but look at that pic again...no signs of aggression whatsoever. Remember also, tank is heavily planted and is large enough for everyone to have their "space" if they so desire.

Jchillin, can you move the snail :) I was trying to figure out what that growth was.. (I can't keep snails, The clowns and kuhli's devour them)

I'm curious why you say tiger barbs can't go with count.. I know sailfins are typically put in agressive chichlid tanks because their size intimidates the other fish (and they are armoured).

I keep my sailfin with serpaes which are supposed to be fin nippers too, but they won't go near him.. (over 1' becomes intimidating I guess)

Severums, many types of eartheaters, convicts, keyhole cichlids, apistos, many labrynth fish, tetras, loaches, many types of fancy plecos, bichirs, pike cichlids, ropefish, arowanas, rainbows, silver dollars, puffers, african tiger fish, Arapaima, mollies, lots and lots of different types of catfish. lol I'm sure there's plenty more, I like a lot of fish. Don't even get me started with native, brackish and saltwater fish, I love them too haha.

(I can't keep snails, The clowns and kuhli's devour them)
I take it you never tried MTS? Loaches will eat them, but never eliminate them completely. They're like roaches, for every one you see, there are 100 more you don't :lol: They burrow in the substrate by day, and surface at night. I had a 30 with MTS, after a couple months, it looked like the gravel was alive when you turned on the light after a couple hours of darkness. They completely covered the entire bottom of the tank, and there were plenty on the sides and everywhere else in the tank.

Lots of interesting answers so far. It would be awesome to have so many different fish in one tank. The variety could look so amazing!

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
I'm curious why you say tiger barbs can't go with count.. I know sailfins are typically put in agressive chichlid tanks because their size intimidates the other fish (and they are armoured).

I keep my sailfin with serpaes which are supposed to be fin nippers too, but they won't go near him.. (over 1' becomes intimidating I guess)

Everything I've read and heard from various sources say that Tiger Barbs are fin nippers. It's true that Count will be quite large and intimidating to them, but I'm not sure if I really want to risk it. I love him for his fins, he's got such beautiful finnage. :) I don't want pesky Barbs to ruin it.

Besides there are other fish that I'm looking at who aren't exactly the best suited tankmates for Tiger Barbs. We'll have to see. I'm still just beginning so I may give them a shot anyway. I still have plety of time to decide!

Back
Top Bottom