Your favorite Schooling Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favorite are glass headstanders. They kind of look like mini payara.

I would buy them in a heartbeat if I could find them again. I had three of these about 6 years ago. Here is one of them, it was about 4-4.5"

I had a large school of cherry barbs I liked them alot. They get really great colors when they get older.

Boesmani Rainbowfish and Glass Catfish. I love both my schools!
I have heard glass cats are shy, but mine are not so at all. They are front and center in all the action, and will often times outcompete the rainbows at feeding time.

Ditto on the rummynose tetras. They are a beautiful fish, but don't ship very well, and they get stressed out very easily during the netting process, sometimes "fainting." If you decide to get them locally, monitor the netting process and if they've been chased too long, call it a day and go back later or the next day, or select another fish. Rummies that go through stressful netting are much more likely to go kaput within days.

David

Which of the schooling fish suggested in this thread can go with an angelfish?

What kind of barbs, tetras, etc are compatable and won't be eaten by the angel or won't nip at the angel?

Which of the schooling fish suggested in this thread can go with an angelfish?

What kind of barbs, tetras, etc are compatable and won't be eaten by the angel or won't nip at the angel?

Well, my dad has a 130 gallon tank with one angel (used to be two but one died) and quite a few other species (even if I was going to name all of them I probably wouldnt remember all of them :p) I will list As many kinds of small fish we've had as I can remember the names of :) there's never been a problem with nipping or eating on either side. lol

-White cloud minnows
-Five banded barbs
-Tiger barbs (I have heard they are nippy, so I personally wouldn't want to take the chance, but we did have a nice school at one time that didn't bother the other fish. Including the angles)
-neons and cardinals (make sure you don't get tiny ones and get them when the angel is still small, just to be safe :))
-rasboras (harlequins and also a kind I can't remember the name of...)
-five-banded barbs
That's all I can think of right now. Personally my favorites are the harlequin rasboras, cardinals and five-banded barbs. :)

Well, my dad has a 130 gallon tank with one angel (used to be two but one died) and quite a few other species (even if I was going to name all of them I probably wouldnt remember all of them :p) I will list As many kinds of small fish we've had as I can remember the names of :) there's never been a problem with nipping or eating on either side. lol

-White cloud minnows
-Five banded barbs
-Tiger barbs (I have heard they are nippy, so I personally wouldn't want to take the chance, but we did have a nice school at one time that didn't bother the other fish. Including the angles)
-neons and cardinals (make sure you don't get tiny ones and get them when the angel is still small, just to be safe :))
-rasboras (harlequins and also a kind I can't remember the name of...)
-five-banded barbs
That's all I can think of right now. Personally my favorites are the harlequin rasboras, cardinals and five-banded barbs. :)

My problem is that I'm going to have 1 angel in a 30 gallon tank. So I want a school of 8 with it that won't get eaten or nip at the angel. I'm thinking maybe cherry barbs! That's if they won't nip at the angelfish.

My favorite schooling fish...hmmm

1. Shadow Catfish (Hyalobagrus flavus) awesome little guys. Everything you read online says they're shy but mine are always up front & center
2. Green fire tetras
3. Ember Tetras
4. CORYS!!!! I love all corys but by far my favs are either the Corydoras habrosus or the Corydoras pygmaeus

Unfortunately this won't help you with the angel question as I don't know much about angels ;)

The only schooling fish I have are Congo tetras, ember tetras and cories. I love the embers, but I need to get some dither fish to go in with them. They are so timid, and my dwarf loaches and sae are so active that the embers tend to hang back. The congos are in another tank, and they do their own thing regardless of what else is going on in the tank. It's not often that they all school together though. They play tag more than anything. I never see more than three cories together in my tanks- they are constantly foraging in ones, two or threes- not necessarily all of the same species.

My problem is that I'm going to have 1 angel in a 30 gallon tank. So I want a school of 8 with it that won't get eaten or nip at the angel. I'm thinking maybe cherry barbs! That's if they won't nip at the angelfish.

I'd try any of the fish I listed exept tiger barbs ;) I don't know about cherry barbs... Sorry

I've heard that with barbs, the larger the school, the less nippy towards other species they will be because they are too busy battling it out amongst theirselves with pecking order and things. I heard that 6 is a good minimum to avoid nippyness, so with 8 I think you would be good if you went that route though I can't guarentee anything.

I had a "school" of 6 Rosy's and they weren't nippy, but they didn't school very well either unless it was feeding time.

Same with my cories, the only cories I've had that actually schooled in a group more than 2-3 at a time were my albinos. Those guys were always together. My habrosus and peppered only school in groups of 2 usually

My favorites so far have been my galaxy rasboras

Last edited:
I've heard that with barbs, the larger the school, the less nippy towards other species they will be because they are too busy battling it out amongst theirselves with pecking order and things. I heard that 6 is a good minimum to avoid nippyness, so with 8 I think you would be good if you went that route though I can't guarentee anything.

I had a "school" of 6 Rosy's and they weren't nippy, but they didn't school very well either unless it was feeding time.

Same with my cories, the only cories I've had that actually schooled in a group more than 2-3 at a time were my albinos. Those guys were always together. My habrosus and peppered only school in groups of 2 usually

My favorites so far have been my galaxy rasboras

Galaxy rasboras are great & I would love to have them but they are not cheap so to get a decent sized school would set me back too much. Oh I also love blood fin tetras. They're a bit bigger & can be in smaller schools so it gives you the option of doing a couple different small school instead of one big school

Good point! I've seen galaxy's on AB going for pretty decent prices lately, but with shipping it'd end up more than I'd want to spend

Back
Top Bottom