Your QT tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm one of those bad aquarists that doesn't run a quarantine tank. I can't keep an aquarium running without finding some permanent inhabitants for it. I've only been burned once by not having a QT.

Some keep a QT running all the time. Others keep an extra filter running on another tank so it's seeded and ready whenever a QT needs to be set up.

im guilty of never having a QT..... but now that ive been reading here and posting... not to mention lost 80% of my DT in the past month ive been thinking more and more about it.

problem is, i dont have much space but i do have 2 extra 10 gal laying around.... i only have 1 filter (eheim classic)... could i pull media out of that to use in my QT? would a few hand fulls of the DT gravel in a nylon bag be suitable?

Do you need to set one up immediately? If not, get some cheap sponge filters and let them soak in your display tank. When you need your QT, pull the sponge filters out and hook up an air pump. Running a HOB filter is another option.

You could use some media out of your current filter if you think you have enough to handle both tanks. I'm not sure a bag of gravel would be enough for a biofilter. There's still mechanical filtration to worry about too.

HOB filter? hang on back?

not really immediate need.... i will be replacing a 45 gal with a 90 gal this sat and moving the 5 fish that are left... (was 12... **** feeder guppies... thats another post) and all the decor.... so figured while i was in the "tank-settingup-mood" maybe i should consider a QT.....

could i just stash a sponge filter in my DT somewhere behind some DW or rocks till needed? a sponge filter works mechanically too?

HOB = hang-on-back power filter. Every time I say power filter, people think I'm referring to powerheads, so I stick to HOB.

Yes, a sponge filter works mechanically also. Hiding it in the tank is exactly what you can do.

I pulled out a tank to use as a QT, but ended up stocking it. :lol:

I saw a good idea tho. I'll just use my 5 gallon bucket as a QT if I need to, but I don't anticipate getting new fish any time soon. Unless my ghost shrimp breeding idea in my 15 gal doesn't work, then I'll have to stock that. :p

I don't use a tank for QT ... I have a 30 gal rubbermaid tub (one of those see through storage thing), and an old HOT Magnum canister. The canister filter (foam sleeve) sits in my sump so it is ready to go. When not in use, the tub sits in my basement holding all my spare fish stuff. With a lid on, it keeps clean inside.

And if you don't have a "real" tank for a QT - you won't be tempted to start a second tank! :)

I keep a 5.5 up and running for QT. Currently it has ghost shrimp in it as a clean up crew and some snails. Eventually I'll turn one of the 10g tanks into a QT, once we've got the new tanks up and I can break down some smaller ones. *Sighs* Yes, I'm thinning the tanks.

Back
Top Bottom