Your thoughts on Fancy Goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yogosans14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Do you think its wrong to be breeding them for specific things like a egg shaped body, bubble eyes, wen growths?Or do you think its unethical and why? Ive heard a lot of people say this and always thought it was a good point but I own only fancy goldfish and love them to death. I really only like Goldfish and Bettas Ive tried out every other fish.

From an ethical standpoint...

It isn't bad unless it hurts them. That can mean it shortens the lifespan, causes them to not be able to eat or swim properly, or otherwise disables them in some way. If it doesn't do that then it is fine, in my point of view.

Some people don't like them because they arent natural looking. You wouldn't find a telescope-eyed fish or a balloon-body in nature...

And others just don't like the looks of it. Thats me. Mostly i keep Cichlids, and i like the predatory outline the have. The balloon or longer fins or any other variation would ruin that. Some fish look ok, but not too many IMO.

The only reason that these fish are around is for people who like the looks of them. So as long as they arent being harmed they are fine. If they are being harmed, then everyone who keeps them is putting their own petty pleasure over the life of another animal for no good reason, which isn't right, IMO.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I agree with Layzorbeams for the most part. Some mutations are just crual and should not be replicated. Ballon Mollys are another. As far as I go on gold fish is Black Moores, telescope eyes and that is pushing the line. Put a Blk Moore in a tank with some comets and it will starve in no time flat. They just can't compete.

Then again, look at all the people with 1 1/2"-2" mollys and swordtails. Mine push are excede 4". Not a mutation, appropriate husbandtry. Most people stunt their fish and don't have a clue.

Yogosans14, I think it is incredibly smart and open-minded to bring up this topic as people do feel strongly about it. Kudos to you.

I Completely agree with LayzorBeams. I understand the breeding for specific characteristics--dogs, cats, garden plants, horses, and aquarium fish are just a few common examples. However, when the life in question has been so overbred that normal things are hampered (the inability to bear puppies naturally in Old English Bulldogs forcing all births to be caesarian section, for example--or hairless cats who can't stay warm and must have heat pads scattered all over houses--or dyed aquarium fish whose lives will be cut short because of it). Breeding goldfish for color or longer fins, or even some body variation seems reasonable. But those with upward-facing eyes, balloon sacks around their eyes, impossibly barrel-shaped bodies, etc. can't compete with normal fish in a tank. Additionally, many fancy goldfish are prone to air bladder issues. Just googling "swim bladder problems in fancy goldfish" is enough to give one pause.

If you can keep those you have healthy and well-fed, good for you. At some point, humans do need to consider what we are doing to creatures under our care.

Full disclosure: I keep two comet goldfish in a 55 gallon lightly planted tank along with a small school of white cloud mountain minnows. Watching the comets swim is lovely--they are sleek and elegant.

In my eyes, seeing videos on social media it just looks like some of those goldfish truly struggle to swim because of their short-body, or super long fins, or maybe the wen covering their eyes. It may not affect life span but I think it's just gone too far. It looks completely unattractive (to me at least).

Bubble eyes goldfish or whatever they call them...

http://imgur.com/K8Wi3kZ

Look them in the eyes and tell me that doesn't look painful(bearing in mind actual fish pain is a whole other heated discussion). It's eyes have been turned upwards and I really think it's crossed an ethical boundary for the sake of what is "cute".

Selective breeding is continuing to make them "fatter" and drifting farther away from the natural look of carp and koi.

IMO 100% my opinion I think it's disgusting. I enjoy the soothing natural look of koi but these short bodies and other "deformities"(which IS what they are!) have gone too far.

Edit: oh and let's not forget how prone most of these goldfish are to SBD nowadays... I see it quite often on social media.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom