YoYo Loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjkelly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have this major Snail invasion that I am Loosing..these things are like roaches...

If I get a YoYo Loach or two..will this fix the problem..

These snails are driving me crazy...

thanks

The loaches may eat the snails.

Your best bet is to underfeed your tank for awhile. Currently, you are most likely overfeeding. An abundance of food will cause them to multiply completely out of control.

Make sure you don't have tons of extra food for the snails to thrive on. Do you have some sort of bottem scavenger in the tank?

Try putting some sort of veggie in the tank each night and by morning you should have tons of snails on it. Then take it out and throw them away. Keep doing this until you are no longer finding snails on the veggie in the morning. Also do lots of water changes and gravel vacs. These snails are thriving cause they are finding lots of extra goodies in your tank to fuel them.

Once the situation is under control make sure you don't introduce new snails. They usually come in on live plants.

Yes, most likely the loach will eat them, but these loaches like to be in groups and you need to be sure you have enough room for them, and that they are compatible with your other fish.

I'd definitely try to starve them out (increasing gravel vacs to capture any excess debris) and trap them first, if you have not tried these methods. Good luck - I feel your pain!

I had a decoration that was a tree stump and had a nice shaded area for creatures to hide. The way I captured a lot of those pesky snails was at night I did the veggie method but during the day I discovered they liked to hide in the dark of this tree stump. All I had to do was lift it out of the tank, put the snails in a baggie and took them to the fish store (I felt bad about throwing them away :lol: ) for their loaches to snack on.

Back
Top Bottom