Yoyo loach dissappearing help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,

So I got a yoyo loach and it's my first time having one. The first day he was great swimming around the tank and really active.
Then we noticed that we just weren't seeing him, we have a bell ornament that's a hiding place and for 4 days straight we haven't seen him, I've checked, he is alive and seemingly well in the bell but he just WILL NOT come out at all. It's worrying me because I don't know if it's normal behaviour or not?

Yoyo loaches are social fish. If kept alone it could be stressed and that could lead it to hide more than usual, possibly stop eating etc. Unlike other loaches, yoyos arent nocturnal and while they do like to hide, hiding all the time is not normal as these types are often seen swimming about. Permanent hiding is a sign its not happy in its environment.

Wouldn’t say it’s normal for yoyo loaches to do that either ime. Apart from getting a few more and checking water I can’t think of much else besides keeping an eye on it. Older ones I’ve found can look dead to the world in the morning and out in afternoon so fingers crossed just settling in.

I have several that enjoy hiding; however as noted above they must be kept in a group of 6 or more (and they get quite large so for a group you need at least a 55 gallon aquarium). If you don't get more there is a good chance it will get quite violent when it becomes older.

Back
Top Bottom