Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yoyo loach dissappearing help

Hey,

So I got a yoyo loach and it's my first time having one. The first day he was great swimming around the tank and really active.
Then we noticed that we just weren't seeing him, we have a bell ornament that's a hiding place and for 4 days straight we haven't seen him, I've checked, he is alive and seemingly well in the bell but he just WILL NOT come out at all. It's worrying me because I don't know if it's normal behaviour or not?

Old 11-17-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Yoyo loaches are social fish. If kept alone it could be stressed and that could lead it to hide more than usual, possibly stop eating etc. Unlike other loaches, yoyos arent nocturnal and while they do like to hide, hiding all the time is not normal as these types are often seen swimming about. Permanent hiding is a sign its not happy in its environment.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:28 PM   #3
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Wouldnít say itís normal for yoyo loaches to do that either ime. Apart from getting a few more and checking water I canít think of much else besides keeping an eye on it. Older ones Iíve found can look dead to the world in the morning and out in afternoon so fingers crossed just settling in.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have several that enjoy hiding; however as noted above they must be kept in a group of 6 or more (and they get quite large so for a group you need at least a 55 gallon aquarium). If you don't get more there is a good chance it will get quite violent when it becomes older.

Tags
app, loach

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com