yoyo loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichRicks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
~ two of my four remaining yoyo loaches, the stripes (YOYO) have been fading away to were i can hardly see it or to a very light grey, they are still eating fine though, so i wasn't worried about it at first, but i just lost the first two that were showing the same signs, and now i am worried about the last four
~ammonia 0, nitrites0, nitratesjust about 25, temp 79, pH 7.3 (should i do another water changed tonight?)
~90 gallons, been set up for about five months, just finished cycling about three months ago
~i have one common pl*co about 13 or 14 inches long, seven neon tetras,four yoyo loaches, one ruby shark (about 4 inches) and three dwarf gouramis
~last water change was about a week ago, i usually do it every sunday, vacumming gravel each time, and about thirty-fifty percent each time
~ pleco had for ten years and one month (my fave fish, such a personality) loaches about one and a half months, ruby shark for 6 months (was in my forty gallon)and gouramis about a week now
~newest thing was my gouramis
~no change in diet, they get sliced cucumber or zuchinni about one a week, algae waffers,and tetra min flakes.

okay, now for the question, is it normal for yoyo loaches to lose their color like this, or is it maybe a sign to an underlying problem, all suggestions will be greatly appriciated. :D

okay, now for the question, is it normal for yoyo loaches to lose their color like this, or is it maybe a sign to an underlying problem, all suggestions will be greatly appriciated.

They will fade when they are stressed yes. Ironically, they can fade their colors at other times too. At night, when they don't need the flashy coloring and so on. Chances are, it was just stress from the moving about,and addition to your tank.

Keep an eye on your other fish, but with no outward odd appearance, it's hard to say exactly what was wrong. Sorry for your loss. :(

I've heard that they sometimes have color changes if stressed but also while they eat and also that they tend to lose marking as they age.

thanks for all the advice, i'll still keep my eye on them, but it is good to know that it does happen, Thanks! :D

Back
Top Bottom