Yoyo loaches and snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJFISH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, how successful are yoyo loaches at eating the annoying little snails that sometimes invade aquariums? Also, I have shrimp. Will they eat my shrimp? Help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yoyo's are very very effective snail eaters but they WILL eat shrimp. What size tank do you have?

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

Yoyo's are very very effective snail eaters but they WILL eat shrimp. What size tank do you have?

That's what I was afraid of! Darn! My tank is 30g. I have Kuhli loaches which don't seem to have a taste for snails, bummer!

You could try some assassin snails

I guess that's an option too, although I heard so bad things about them as well. Do they eat shrimp? Can they kill a lot of small snails?

They destroy snails and that's about it far as i know

Assassin snails don't eat shrimp. Yoyo loaches do, and they would also outgrow your tank.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Assassin snails don't eat shrimp. Yoyo loaches do, and they would also outgrow your tank.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thanks! I'm getting so many mixed messages about assassin snails, some people are saying they definitely will catch shrimp when they can. Also people are saying that they won't eat the very small pest snails, which is what I'm trying to get rid of, they're very small. What's the deal, will they eat them? Has anyone used them to control small snails?

The only thing with shrimp i could possible see would be a weak/dying shrimp. Even then i would think it a bit of a stretch. i personally have never used assassin snails but some people swear by them some people don't like them. To be honest it may me how they are raised/The individual.

I have 3 angelicus botia and 1 yoyo loach with 3 nerite snails for 2 months now. I guess it all depends on their personality.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom