Zach's 46g Bowfront Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
46g Aquarium Tank Ideas
Demensions
36x16x20

•2 Angelfish
•1 Festivum
•1 Discus
•1 Black Ghost Knifefish (put in last when others are bigger)
Baby tears
Swords
Crypts
Lilly's
Anubis
Val's

I am 85% sure this is overstocked but how much and what problems will this cause? What problems are there with the stock in general?
I have Eco-complete soil and I will post my lighting in the morning problably...

image-2640316383.jpg

When I got it home

image-4253649561.jpg

Dw

image-162282151.jpg

3 small Amazon swords

image-110879367.jpg

Bulbs for fun :)
(By the way which is which?)

image-340427859.jpg

Background on

image-1614532046.jpg

Some Corkscrew Val's in:) swords together

46g Aquarium Tank Ideas
Demensions
36x16x20

•2 Angelfish
•1 Festivum
•1 Discus
•1 Black Ghost Knifefish (put in last when others are bigger)
Baby tears
Swords
Crypts
Lilly's
Anubis
Val's

I am 85% sure this is overstocked but how much and what problems will this cause? What problems are there with the stock in general?
I have Eco-complete soil and I will post my lighting in the morning problably...

When I got it home

Dw

3 small Amazon swords

Bulbs for fun :)
(By the way which is which?)

Background on

Some Corkscrew Val's in:) swords together

You're definitely overstocked. Being overstocked will cause your fish to suffer and die. Taking care of such an overstocked tank will be very difficult and IMO a horrible idea. Clown loaches get huge and need to be in groups of six plus. Discus have unique care requirements, and black ghost knife fish also get large. Some of the plants on your list also need a lot of lighting specifically the Madagascar. What type of lighting do you have. Will you be cycling the tank before adding fish.

Also is that a bow front ime the ones like you have, 4 pains of glass instead of 2, have a tendency to leak.

You're definitely overstocked. Being overstocked will cause your fish to suffer and die. Taking care of such an overstocked tank will be very difficult and IMO a horrible idea. Clown loaches get huge and need to be in groups of six plus. Discus have unique care requirements, and black ghost knife fish also get large. Some of the plants on your list also need a lot of lighting specifically the Madagascar. What type of lighting do you have. Will you be cycling the tank before adding fish.

You said I'm overstocked but how overstocked? Like how many fish need to be cut from the team?

Cut the loaches,and discus....

What fish can I use instead of clowns? Would angelicus Botia work?

I will post lighting in morning sorry cant get to the case right now...

And I can't find a store near me with the lace so cut it also...

Cut the loaches,and discus....

What fish can I use instead of clowns? Would angelicus Botia work?

I will post lighting in morning sorry cant get to the case right now...

Even without those you're still overstocked. I would go with the two angels the leopard bush fish and a few bn plecos along with a school of rainbows or tetras. That would be IMO pushing the absolute limit of your stocking.

While you'll get no argument from me about being overstocked, I think saying the fish will die is a little harsh, I have a heavily stocked 75 gallon mixed African cichlid tank with 3 clown loaches, 1 pleco, 1 syno, and 1 feather fin, weekly water changes and testing often. Also over filtration and NOT over feeding and sometimes skipping a day.

Yes hard work and stressful lol, no argument there either, BUT I know ALOT of overstocked tanks that are just fine, is it right? I don't have that answer. BUt 'Your fish will die" is a little harsh IMO. Oh and I have a handful of loaches as well...

Re scaped 75 gallon Mixed African Cichlid tank tonight!! CHECK IT OUT!! - YouTube

Even without those you're still overstocked. I would go with the two angels the leopard bush fish and a few bn plecos along with a school of rainbows or tetras. That would be IMO pushing the absolute limit of your stocking.

I changed the comment a little up can you answer the next questions I added plz and sorry...

Would this work?(sorry I am very stubborn and young and I really want the Knifefish and Bushfish...Angels have the beauty I want and I will have alot of plants... Maybe more driftwood to and also more rock structures...

2angels
1 Bushfish
1 Knifefish
3 of a loach or Botia

While you'll get no argument from me about being overstocked, I think saying the fish will die is a little harsh, I have a heavily stocked 75 gallon mixed African cichlid tank with 3 clown loaches, 1 pleco, 1 syno, and 1 feather fin, weekly water changes and testing often. Also over filtration and NOT over feeding and sometimes skipping a day.

Yes hard work and stressful lol, no argument there either, BUT I know ALOT of overstocked tanks that are just fine, is it right? I don't have that answer. BUt 'Your fish will die" is a little harsh IMO. Oh and I have a handful of loaches as well...

Re scaped 75 gallon Mixed African Cichlid tank tonight!! CHECK IT OUT!! - YouTube

Okay they may not die but they will for sure not live a good life. Their is a huge difference between surviving and thriving. IMO if you are not going to properly care for your fish why get them. Its like keeping a large dog in a small home and never bringing him for walks and always leaving him indoors. The dog will survive but he won't be very happy.

Great tank!
Yes I am great at not over feeding and also my filtration is the Marineland canister filter C220

I changed the comment a little up can you answer the next questions I added plz and sorry...

Would this work?(sorry I am very stubborn and young and I really want the Knifefish and Bushfish...Angels have the beauty I want and I will have alot of plants... Maybe more driftwood to and also more rock structures...

2angels
1 Bushfish
1 Knifefish
3 of a loach or Botia

Okay I don't have any experience with the knife fish or botia. I think that will still be overstocked but I could be wrong.

Edit: after a quick Google the knife fish will get over a foot in length and should not be in that size tank.

Okay they may not die but they will for sure not live a good life. Their is a huge difference between surviving and thriving. IMO if you are not going to properly care for your fish why get them. Its like keeping a large dog in a small home and never bringing him for walks and always leaving him indoors. The dog will survive but he won't be very happy.

I understand... But can I keep the
Knifefish
Leaffish
Angels
Some bottom feeder that's not Cory's in this tank?

(It's technically 51g's)

Knife fish are amazing but very sensitive. I would hold off till I had the parameters on the tank firmly established. Research him as your main fish and look for appropriate tank mates. The clowns along can get well over a foot and are wide. After seeing a school of full grown loaches I would never keep them in less then a monster tank.

I understand... But can I keep the
Knifefish
Leaffish
Angels
Some bottom feeder that's not Cory's in this tank?

(It's technically 51g's)

Is their a possibility that you could get the knife fish for a little while then either give it to LFS or upgrade tanks in the near future.

Knife fish are amazing but very sensitive. I would hold off till I had the parameters on the tank firmly established. Research him as your main fish and look for appropriate tank mates. The clowns along can get well over a foot and are wide. After seeing a school of full grown loaches I would never keep them in less then a monster tank.

Well I plan on getting it last once all the fish have grown in to the tank and into size so in like 3-4 months...

2angels
1 Bushfish
1 Knifefish
3 of a loach or Botia

CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe troll craigslist etc to get another tank so you can have best of both worlds and all the fish you want, but a little more room? i KNOW im overstocking but counting on that big tank getting cycled to make them super happy later down the line, plus then i will know who belongs together and who does not. Researching for about 3-4 hours every day and doing relentless water changes and monitoring etc, but what worries me most is any unseen problems like lowered immune system later on. However i TOO am stubborn and want what i want, can't plead young anymore at 38 hehe but i say if your on this forum and adding as many plants as you can, your on the right track to happy fish (y)

Just to be clear lol, I'm agreeing with ya (y)

Well I plan on getting it last once all the fish have grown in to the tank and into size so in like 3-4 months...

You will be overstocked with the angels and knifefish. If you absolutely want the knife fish I would not get the angels and leopard gourami.

Back
Top Bottom