Zebra danio fry care questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
So when I got my tank I stocked it with 4 longfin zebra danio. One died the first week while I was out of town. When I got home I flushed the dead one and then the next day I saw something that looked like an eyelash swimming. Then GULP it was eaten. And I looked against the glass of my tank and noticed a few fry this big

image-759605937.jpg

image-3688966534.jpg

I was only able to catch one and it died . This was almost weeks ago. I'm going on my 4th week with the danios right now and the other day I vacuumed my tank and looked in the bucket and saw a bunch of more of the little guys ! And even 1 big one .. In just 3 weeks?

image-2207729478.jpg

And even 2 of these
Found the first 1 with the rest of the little ones and another to day with a couple little ones

image-2207024220.jpg

Last week I had a coupon for petco and I went and all they has was a regular danio but I knew my one guy was just a 3rd wheel to the breeding couple ! So I just bought it ! It's 1/4 the size of my long fin but today I noticed something!

It looks pregnant !

The little one on the right you can't really see in these pictures .
image-1629267415.jpg

See a little better but its blurry

On the right.

image-1880056050.jpg

My main question is in zebra danios does the make Impregnate the female fertilizing the eggs inside her or is it one of those deals where she lays the eggs and he swims over and does his thing and fertilizes them that way??

Timeline
Week 1 got 4 longfin zebra danios
Week 2 found dead fish and one baby fry it died
Week 3 noticed fish mating and found more fry and vacuumed them up and put them in vase
Week 4 was today Monday.

Thanks . Time for bed

I think you need to get a breeding box set up. That way you can separate pregnant fish before they drop the fry.

For feeding you need some infusoria or something similar until they reach a bigger size where eating regular foods becomes possible.

She lays them and he does his thing... Only live bearers impregnate ... Breeding nets help keep the eggs alive since they fall through the holes preventing them being eaten

I think you need to get a breeding box set up. That way you can separate pregnant fish before they drop the fry.

For feeding you need some infusoria or something similar until they reach a bigger size where eating regular foods becomes possible.

I have been using hakari first bites

Scouser said:

Danios don't drop fry, they scatter eggs. I doubt you could get them to spawn in a breeder box, either.

Pm Andy Sager, he can probably give some good advice on the topic. I know he has bred them before. I believe a spawning tank with marbles at the bottom is what is recommended for breeding them. The eggs fall between the marbles which protects them until you can move the parents out.

Pm Andy Sager, he can probably give some good advice on the topic. I know he has bred them before. I believe a spawning tank with marbles at the bottom is what is recommended for breeding them. The eggs fall between the marbles which protects them until you can move the parents out.

I've read that only problem is these things are like baby makers ! They keep going on and off every few days

But I will thanks!

It so sucks I want one of the gravel vacs that hook to my sink but u can't because I suck up all the fry!

Back
Top Bottom