Zebra Danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish94

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi im new on here and was wondering it anyone can help me out with a very very fat zebra D i have put her in another tank with two male should i leave both of the males in there of take one out???
Im new to the whole baby fish thing and i wouldnt mind having some so any info about these fish would be great thanks:eek:

From what I understand danios mate for life, so if you can tell if the female is bonded with one particular male then remove the other one. You'd need some kind of small grate in the bottom of the tank so the fertilized eggs could fall down where the parents cannot get to them, since they will eat them.

Also, make sure the fat female is full of eggs and is not suffering from dropsy.

A really fat zebra might just be the fastest eater in the tank... I have one that's almost round, yet she's never dropped eggs (that I've seen). Usually the female is a bit fuller looking anyway; when they have eggs, the rear quarters have more of a squared-off look.

I saved some zebra eggs and raised the fry recently. It's not hard to do; the eggs have to hide from the parents, like in a grate as Tank Girl said, or in marbles or coarse gravel where they can be siphoned up later (that's how I did it); look around the edges of the tank with a magnifying glass to see whether there are some eggs out there already. You'll need a tank for the fry themselves; when I tried to use one of those breeder net things, the fry were so small they went straight through the mesh... and were then eaten.

ok so she has been fat for a few days and now she isnt so fat does that mean she has had her eggs??? and if she had how do i see them if there sooo small

The danios are egg scatterers, so the eggs may be found almost anywhere in the tank. If the tank has a plain bottom, they will be easy to see, if any were left uneaten by the adults. For a gravel bottom, look at where the gravel meets the glass, with a magnifier (I use an old camera lens); you should see some small clear or cloudy round eggs. If you do see eggs, it should only be a couple of days before you see the little splinter-size fry hanging on the glass in the same area where the eggs were. Eventually the fry will get ambitious and start searching for food, and that's when the adults will get them; you'd have to siphon them up before that happens.

thanks for the advice guys we has 50 babys in the tank now and the parents have been moved.

Back
Top Bottom