Zebra Danio's are NUTZ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bengoshi2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
So we finally got some fish for our 29g tank. The kids wanted glo-fish. Not my first choice, but I want them to be part of this "aquarium experience" and so I let them choose... we got 6. They are very fast, active little swimmers. I've had a lot of fun watching them (and here's why):

The tank has a pair of Whisper 10-30i filters on it and one of the fish (the largest orange one) has figured out how to swim up the cascade of water and get into the filter (in the open area in front of the bio sponge). Once there he will swim up and down, occasionally allowing himself to be pushed out by the water flow, then he swims back up. I've even caught him surfing on the lip of the filter in the water current. My 7 year old thinks its the coolest thing to watch!

We have now named this fish "The Extreme!"

Very cool! I can almost picture danio surf contests in the future. lol

I think it's awesome that you're able to share a hobby with your kids. :)

I think it's awesome that you're able to share a hobby with your kids. :)

That's the main reason I got into fishkeeping. Our 3 kids are still too young for puppies or kittens (and my wife, who stays at home with them, argues that she's already got 3 puppies to take care of :)). So fish seemed to be a positive "middle ground." (Although I did have to overcome some prejudice... the guy my wife dated before meeting me had a saltwater aquarium on which he spent more TLC than anything else... It worked out great for me at that time, but the wife was a *difficult sell* on setting up even a small FW. I told her that 16 years was a long time to hold a grudge against a man she didn't even marry!)

The kids enjoy feeding the fish, especially the dwarf puffer, Dr. Neville. I've had to mediate some fights on whose turn it is. My boys now want me to set up a brackish/salt aquarium and get a GSP. I told them that we must be patient... in less than 5 months we've taken their mom from disliking aquariums to having 3... two of which are in her dining room! They grin knowing we will continue to work on her!

Yeah, I bought some of those once at the urging of my 8-year-old niece. My tank of peaceful, middle-aged fish could not take it. They were absolutely overwhelmed by the addition of these ADHD children. We ended up moving them to their own tank, because it was just too upsetting for my other fish.

So we finally got some fish for our 29g tank. The kids wanted glo-fish. Not my first choice, but I want them to be part of this "aquarium experience" and so I let them choose... we got 6. They are very fast, active little swimmers. I've had a lot of fun watching them (and here's why):

The tank has a pair of Whisper 10-30i filters on it and one of the fish (the largest orange one) has figured out how to swim up the cascade of water and get into the filter (in the open area in front of the bio sponge). Once there he will swim up and down, occasionally allowing himself to be pushed out by the water flow, then he swims back up. I've even caught him surfing on the lip of the filter in the water current. My 7 year old thinks its the coolest thing to watch!

We have now named this fish "The Extreme!"

I have a picture of a dolphin in front of a large ocean liner being pushed by the force of the water riding the waves. The picture is titled Aquadine. Fish are smarter (thrill seekers ) than we often give them credit for.

Have fun!

fearlessfisch,

What other type of fish did you have in your tank and do you think they would have been okay if the glofish had been there first? I am in the process of setting up a tank and was looking at glofish.

Thanks,

Zebra danio are awesome little fish . I love my Zebra and Purple Passion danios and can watch their antics all day long . My Serpae tetra like to nip , but found rather quickly that they are not going to keep up with the constantly moving danios and my swordtails pay them no mind .

I have never had any problems with them bothering other fish with the exception of fry . I had zebras in with my Dwarf gourami and the zebras never messed with them .

I have to clarify my post. The danios did not attack or physically bother the other fish at all. They just were so out of place in a tank that had previously been a very slow-moving, peaceful environment that we decided to give them their own space. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Thanks, figured they may have stressed them out by just being active. Sort of like when my daughter does not breath when she is talking. I am guessing they don't grow out of this. She is 25. Just breathe Just breathe

Try the blue LEDs for lighting. It makes the glofish glow like a black light. They really stand out then, as long as they stay out of the strainer. These little guys are crazy.

NovaHeat

Back
Top Bottom