Zebra Danios – Top Dwellers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follicle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought my first group of Zebra Danios today (five to be exact). I'm really liking them; however, I'm a little concerned. After doing research online and inquiring at the LFS, I learned that the Danios were mid-level dwellers. I have a few other mid-level community dwellers and thought this would work out well. I've had them in the tank for about 20 minutes now and they are all swimming around at the very top of the tank. I don't think they could get any closer to the surface.

The problem is that I also have an African Butterfly Fish, a meat hungry top dweller. I feed him at least once a day (they will even eat crickets), but I'm a little nervous with all of these little Danios swimming around him. They look just big enough not to be swallowed up by the Butterfly Fish, but you never know what he might be capable of. Nothing has happened yet, but I'm just waiting to hear a sudden splash of water indicating that someone became dinner.

So are Zebra Danios actually top dwellers? Up to this point, it seems like they are. At the LFS, they were all swimming in the middle of the tank, but it might have been due to the amount of fish in the tank.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any replies.

I seem to remember when I was searching on info for them I read they were top dwellers. I'll try to dig up where I saw that.

I seem to remember when I was searching on info for them I read they were top dwellers. I'll try to dig up where I saw that.

Hmm. Now that I'm digging deeper, I am finding a majority of sites that are claiming they are, in fact, top dwellers. I do also see some sites that label them as mid-tank dwellers, but I'm not sure. It's been over an hour now and I'm fairly certain they'll remain up there.

On a positive note, the African Butterfly Fish seems to be pretty laid back with them. He's just hanging out in the corner like he always does. I think he knows they may be a little too much for him to handle in one bite.

What size tank do you have?
I suppose that may make a difference to the mid or top level scenario.

What size tank do you have?
I suppose that may make a difference to the mid or top level scenario.

It's a 55 gallon. A few of them have dove down into the center of the tank a few times, but they didn't stay down there long. It's no big deal or anything. I just don't want the Butterfly Fish making a meal out of them.

If they will fit in his mouth then you can expect some to disappear eventually. I find my danios hang out at the top but are always at the bottom mating at first day break.

my danios always group together at the top at night until the room gets bright again in the morning. Then hang out mid to top of the tank. They'll even hit the bottom at times when they are chasing someone or busy looking for leftovers at feeding time.

Thanks for the replies. They really are great fish. I just wish you could see them better! Right now, they're at the very top of the tank and you have to squat down and look up to see them. Maybe they'll get a little more comfortable in a few days and move down a bit.

Eventually they will start behaving normally as they get more comfortable with their surrounds. Zebra danios are also a very easy beginner fish to learn to breed if you want to get into that.

Back
Top Bottom