Zebra Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tennhound

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My husband wants a zebra pleco. Are they aggressive? Does anyone know how fast they will grow? I am having trouble finding one around town here. I may have someone who can order one for me but I would like to know a little more about them first. :angel:

Goto the forums at PlanetCatfish.com and make sure you post your location in your profile(they hate when ppl don't) so you can get the best advice possible. Also try to search the forums for zebra pleco before you post your questions.

Yeah, as I understand it, they are omnivorous, and not algae eaters. They are, as far as I've seen, just about the most expensive plecos out there. Fish2u sells them for $95. No site I've looked through (I've done a fair amount of research) has them for under $80. Most sites don't stock them at all.

I did speak with a guy at my LFS who said they're impossible to come by, but when he can find them he sells them for cheaper--$60 or so. I think he might be misremembering...

A fair compromise would be a Rafael Catfish. They look similar to the zebras, and have sucker mouths. They're pretty easy to find in most petcos and petsmarts. They do get larger, though--I think about 7 or 8 inches.

If you've got the cash, get a zebra or a few of them! They are truly spectacular. A nice picture here: http://store1.yimg.com/I/fish2u_1726_3534818

:D *Drool* :D

The LFS where we bought our peppermint pleco recently said that the rainy season in South America is starting and that makes it easier to catch plecos. In other words, they should start having a great selection of exotics in the near future.

I don't know much about the climate in South America, but I do know that both of the fish stores I buy from have a lot more fancy plecos than they had two weeks ago. Blue phantoms, green phantoms, mangos, queen arabesque, royal... I haven't seen a zebra yet but I'm keeping my eyes open! :)

Yes. I've noticed this, too. Plecs seem to be on the rise in my LFSs, too. Queen Arabesque, King Tiger, Gold Nugget.

OOOOh, and I saw some Medusa Head Plecos in NJ. To die for. SOOOO cool!!!!!!

I'm still thinking I might go back and "liberate" them....

Back
Top Bottom