zebra pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zilla870

Aquarium Advice FINatic
does anyone have one or know someone that has one?

read up on them and getting different specs on them one article is saying they are 6in max and a mid fish to bottom
other is say 2 to 3 max and just a bottom fish

they are very very pretty fish
my get them instead of clown pleco

True Zebra Pleco gets about 6 inches and are delicate...not to mention expensive, so pay attention to the following if you are serious about getting a true zebra pleco.

Favorable pH value is between 6.8 and 7.0. Wood and carrion as well as veggies are essencial for optimal health. Should only go into a well established and stable system. A natural set up is best with small grain gravel for substrate. Temp must be stable and range between 78 degrees to no more than 83 degrees. Be selective with your purchase. Upon inspection of the fish, make sure it is free of any redness, cloudy eyes, and avoid those that appear skinny or overly bloated.

They are really neat looking plecos, but they do require a little more TLC than most.

They are gorgous pleco's but very hard to find. They are not allowed to be exported from Brazil anymore, which is why they are rare. Some breeders are trying to breed them because they are supposed to be easy to breed, but the price is VERY high. I saw one for $200. There is now a Fake Zebra Pleco but they are not as pretty and striking as the True Zebra Pleco's.

True zebras are not that easy to breed ... there is actually a lot of stops to it .... the good thing is that there are some captive breed zebras that keep popping up all over the place.

Lots of rumors about them, but there is a TFH mag. that prints out how it can be done from proven methods.

Yes, but a true Zebra Pleco is amazing looking. The coloring, brightness, there's nothing like it. A False Zebra has duller colors. At least the pics I have seen do.

Back
Top Bottom