Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Zero Nitrates After Cycling

So I have a 10gallon planted tank I plan to stock with a Betta that appeared to complete the cycling process a few weeks ago. Since the tank is planted and some small snails hitched a ride on my new plants I let that be my starter ammonia source and let the tank run. I used an API master test kit to test the water every week and saw a spike in ammonia and nitrates, but eventually I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and about 10-20 nitrate. Just as the tank cycled my state imposed a stay at home order so the tank has still been running unstocked with weekly water changes, and Flourish and Neutral Regulator added. Since I need to go to the pet store now to stock up on cat food I thought I might pick up a Betta while I'm there, but when I checked my water just now I got 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. Can my tank still be cycled with 0 nitrate? With the plants growing in and snail poop accumulating I find it hard to believe the tank is no longer cycled, especially since my ammonia is still 0.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-09-2020, 09:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

if it is fairly heavily planted it is possible the plants are using the nitrate up. I have a 10 gallon not what I consider heavily planted, but quite a few. I have 1 betta and about 10 shrimp and numerous ramshorn snails. My test has been 0,0,0 for awhile to where I started adding an all in one fertilizer with nitrogen in it to bring up Nitrates for the plants.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:36 AM   #3
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

As above.

The bacteria should of just gone dormant (eg like over winter pond ice-over). My sister has restarted tanks sitting with no fish months later and gone ok.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My hundred gallon regularly tests at 0, 0, and 0. Lightly stocked with a bunch of small fish and lots of plants, a combination of fast and slow growers. The plants eat everything.
5g planted Betta tank
KaylNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do test your ammonia after adding fish though, since itís been sitting understocked some bacteria may have died back. Have you been feeding the tank?

Tags
ate, cycling, nitrate, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com