Zero Nitrates After Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daubentonia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 10gallon planted tank I plan to stock with a Betta that appeared to complete the cycling process a few weeks ago. Since the tank is planted and some small snails hitched a ride on my new plants I let that be my starter ammonia source and let the tank run. I used an API master test kit to test the water every week and saw a spike in ammonia and nitrates, but eventually I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and about 10-20 nitrate. Just as the tank cycled my state imposed a stay at home order so the tank has still been running unstocked with weekly water changes, and Flourish and Neutral Regulator added. Since I need to go to the pet store now to stock up on cat food I thought I might pick up a Betta while I'm there, but when I checked my water just now I got 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. Can my tank still be cycled with 0 nitrate? With the plants growing in and snail poop accumulating I find it hard to believe the tank is no longer cycled, especially since my ammonia is still 0.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

if it is fairly heavily planted it is possible the plants are using the nitrate up. I have a 10 gallon not what I consider heavily planted, but quite a few. I have 1 betta and about 10 shrimp and numerous ramshorn snails. My test has been 0,0,0 for awhile to where I started adding an all in one fertilizer with nitrogen in it to bring up Nitrates for the plants.

As above.

The bacteria should of just gone dormant (eg like over winter pond ice-over). My sister has restarted tanks sitting with no fish months later and gone ok.

My hundred gallon regularly tests at 0, 0, and 0. Lightly stocked with a bunch of small fish and lots of plants, a combination of fast and slow growers. The plants eat everything.

Do test your ammonia after adding fish though, since it’s been sitting understocked some bacteria may have died back. Have you been feeding the tank?

Back
Top Bottom