Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2005, 02:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

zoo med ocean sun

I am the proud owner of a zoo med ocean view 24" bulb that will not light up. It flashes real pretty but that is it. I noticed a little note attached saying to leave the bulb on for about 5 minutes and it should turn on. ONE HOUR later, it still makes pretty flashes. I have 20 watt ballast with a starter. Am I doomed to not have the light bulb I want or can anyone help with a suggestion. I forgot to mention I returned the bulb for another one it too does the same thing.

Can anyone recommend a good light for a 100 gal fw that is 24" T8.

Thanks

100 gal: freshwater
2 green kissing gouramis, 1 red tail shark, 3 congo tetras, 3 australian rainbows, 1 rubberlip, 1 hippo, 1 green severum, 1 yellow severum, 2 german blue rams (pair), 3 giant danios, 3 silver dollars, 5 angels, 12 freshwater clams.

30 gal: 6 white mollys, 3 rummy nose, 2 german blue rams (pair), 2 red swordtails, 2 golden swordtails, 1 handicap guppy.

20 gal: fry tank of whatever (right now about 30 guppies and 100 white molly's.

10 gal: 2 german blue rams (pair)

5 gal: Basil the Betta, 2 african dwarf frogs
nimbus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 03:16 PM   #2

Went to my lfs expert and come to find out zoo med bulbs require an electronic ballast and that zoo med products are 5 yrs advanced on the bulb market, seems us poor souls are just trying to catch up.

2 green kissing gouramis, 1 red tail shark, 3 congo tetras, 3 australian rainbows, 1 rubberlip, 1 hippo, 1 green severum, 1 yellow severum, 2 german blue rams (pair), 3 giant danios, 3 silver dollars, 5 angels, 12 freshwater clams.

30 gal: 6 white mollys, 3 rummy nose, 2 german blue rams (pair), 2 red swordtails, 2 golden swordtails, 1 handicap guppy.

Old 02-19-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Had the same experience, old magnetic ballasts with starters. Fortunately or unfortunately the starter burnt out and was not worth replacing (hard wired into fixture) so I went to Lowes and bought electronic ballast rewired fixture and could not be happier. Just a thought.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:15 AM   #4

I appreciate it, I've bought over 5 different bulbs now and I still keep going back to the one I can't have....looks like I'll be doing your trick.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com