Zucchini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
How exactly do you prepare zucchini To make fish (specifically plecos) like it? I've heard microwave, but was wondering if maybe a dash of salt would help.

I boil it for a minute or two, but that's it. Sometimes it just takes them a little while for them to figure out that the strange thing in their tank is food haha. If you feed them any supplemental food like algae wafers you could put one on top of the zucchini to entice them to try it.

Hmm... Since I don't have him yet, I guess I'll just start him on the zucchini, then start adding the wafers. Would you do the salt? I was thinking I would put it in a container with some water, and a dash of salt, and either microwave or boil for dinner...

Mine like it fresh. They like to just hang on it and munch away. I put a plant weight on it and sink it. They eat skin and all. Never had a problem

I boil it just so I don't have to weigh it down. They'll eat it fine once they figure out it's food. :)

I blanch mine (boil for 2 minutes and then run under cold water to stop it from cooking). Toss it in the tank. I should add somebody told me to slice it really thin, but I find it better to cut it about 1/2 in thick. My silver dollars chase it around the tank and eat everything as well (skin included). My pleco loves it too :). Oh and no salt :p

Back
Top Bottom