Wanted: african cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capecodaquarium

Aquarium Advice Regular
looking to add to my 92g african tank. my lfs charges crazy prices, so i am turning to you guys!

currently have:
2 red zebras
4 yellow labs
1 kenyi
1 auratus
1 OB zebra
1 red top zebra
1 peacock
1 acei

i do like the maingano alot but i am looking for anything really

Hey! I've a male auratus that I cannot stand!! He is about three inches long and still in the process of changing colors. However he is a bully. If you're interested, let me know

pm sent thanks.

looking for cobalt blue zebras! interested in other africans as well

Im lookin to get rid of an ice blue zebra cichlid from my 47 gallon tank. I have to warn you he is highly territorial, so if you want him i hope you have hiding spots. Thats actually the reason im getting rid of him. My tank cant offer the hiding places for the other cichlids.

The ice blue zebra is a male and is about 3.5 or 4 inches in length. His tail fin isnt perfect but he is a healthy fish. Let me know if you want him.

Im thinking about exchanging this fish at my local fish store because im not sure how to ship live fish and dont really want to go through the shipping process.

You may make an offer and i might change my mind.

you are close im in mass. he would be fine even if you didnt bag him right, which is hard to do. the temps in your area and mine are perfect right now. just fill the bag 1/4 with water, put him in and seal it. as long as the bag has plenty of fresh air he will be ok. not air from your lungs as if you were to blow air into the bag. if you sent it priority mail he would be just fine. better than going to your lfs as he is going into a 92g african tank with other mbunas.

you are close im in mass. he would be fine even if you didnt bag him right, which is hard to do. the temps in your area and mine are perfect right now. just fill the bag 1/4 with water, put him in and seal it. as long as the bag has plenty of fresh air he will be ok. not air from your lungs as if you were to blow air into the bag. if you sent it priority mail he would be just fine. better than going to your lfs as he is going into a 92g african tank with other mbunas.

I dont have any kind of bags that they have at my LFS, should i get some from them or could i use a ziplock bag?

Or could i use a plastic grocery bag, haha

haha what i usually do is grab a bag from my lfs, they always give them to me for free. a ziplock would be OK, but no way on the grocery bag. might leak

haha what i usually do is grab a bag from my lfs, they always give them to me for free. a ziplock would be OK, but no way on the grocery bag. might leak

Yea i was definetly going out on a limb with the grocery bag idea.

I was reading that the package needs to be well insulated.

Besides bagging the fish and plopping him into a box and taping it up, is there anything else i should do to help secure the fish?

it doesnt need to be insulated this time of year. the temps up here are ok. as well as down there. he will be ok as long as he doesnt get pinched in the bag and there is enough oxygen in the bag. which is why it should be only 1/4 full of water

it doesnt need to be insulated this time of year. the temps up here are ok. as well as down there. he will be ok as long as he doesnt get pinched in the bag and there is enough oxygen in the bag. which is why it should be only 1/4 full of water

Would my LFS also have boxes that i could use that would fit the dimensions of the bag so the bag isnt rolling around loosley inside a box?

Or would i just bring in the bagged fish into the ups store and they would securely box it for me?

any box will work, if the bag doesnt fit, use a different bag or just fill the empty space with rolled up newspaper or something to keep it from rolling around. usps would be cheaper to ship than ups. faster too

any box will work, if the bag doesnt fit, use a different bag or just fill the empty space with rolled up newspaper or something to keep it from rolling around. usps would be cheaper to ship than ups. faster too

So i got some bags from my LFS, they actually charged 25 cents/bag

Heres a picture of the Ice Blue Zebra:

Attachments

• Ice Blue Zebra.jpg
    Ice Blue Zebra.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 78
thats crazy, my lfs has given me atleast 50 bags for free over the time i've been going there. fish looks good!

Just wanted to say that's a very beautiful fish...cheers

I know someone selling 1" maingano for $5/each, I could pick some up this Saturday. Shipping that size isn't a problem, but are they too small to mix with your current stock? Shipping in breather bags and Priority Mail shouldn't be more than $10 for up to 6.
I have a number of ruby red peacock juvies available for the same price, but I wouldn't recommend mixing them with your aggressive mbuna.

Would my LFS also have boxes that i could use that would fit the dimensions of the bag so the bag isnt rolling around loosley inside a box?

Or would i just bring in the bagged fish into the ups store and they would securely box it for me?

Read the article that severum_mama posted here Shipping Fish and Invertebrates
Use newspaper to fill the empty space in the box.
I suggest insulating every shipment, there's no telling what the postal workers are doing with the package. I also use ice packs this time of year, every little bit helps.

Back
Top Bottom