coconut shells...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millipede

Aquarium Advice Addict
A good amount of people might find this to be a dumb idea but I don't otherwise I wouldn't post it. That and I'm desperate for money. I wish I could say I was saving up for some pet stuff but I'm really trying just to save up for everyday life... Anyway... Coconut shells in your fish tank... I started out making these for rodents, they love them, but I have incoporated them into other creatures tanks such as lizards and frogs. I think made one for my own fish tank. Basically it's half of a coconut shell with a bunch of holes drilled in it. The holes and designs could vary quite a bit for different tastes and different fish. Lets say you had some small cichlids of some other medium sized fish that like to hide. I could place some larger holes in the shell providing a unique hiding place. The shell I have in my own tank has smaller holes all over it looking like swiss cheese or something. I sometimes place plants in the upper holes and my khuli loach loves to hide under it. I could even cut designs into it, like a fish for instance. The shell could also be carved or etched with silly designs or even your pet's name. You could place an airline under it and have bubbles come out the top of the shell... There are many ideas I have, if anyone is interested please let me know. I'll have to take some pics and then find someone with a scanner before I can get some pics up, but I really think some people might like the idea. Also, coconut shells are naturally free from parasites, very hardy, and used in some of the best charcoal for aquarium filters. I also boil them a lot before using them to get some of the color and or tannins out. I've had mine in my tank for quite a while, it has a light coating of green on it from algae that I think ads to it's character... Anyway, my fish love it... Also, anyone with small rodents or anything else that likes to hide, it makes a great hiding spot for them as well... As far as cost goes, I haven't completely decided but it would be relatively cheap. Let me know what you all think...

I think coconut shells would be an interesting addition look neat and should last for many years. If you like to eat coconuts too then you could get all the cocnut stuff out and then still have a use for the shell.

Be sure to have some lime for your coconut (not for the fish) and also a small bottle of rum (also not for the fish)

It would also be cool to cut just one end off or both ends off and have a sort of "coconut cave" that would be cool.

my post...

Sorry about the light text, I don't remember what I did but because of the theme I use I can read it just fine. I asked fishfreed to edit the post for me though so more people can read it. So hopefully it will be better... Sorry again...

Someone got to it before me so its all good now. Just remember that to light of a color wont work for most of the styles. Stuff like yellow and the really light blues expecially.

thanks whoever fixed it, I hope everyone can read it now. And yes, caves would be cool, that's sort of what I was thinking would be good for some of the smaller cichlids and such. There are endless options really. I would think quite a few different fish would like them, both salt and fresh. Hey, I could even make one look like a volleyball and you could call it Wilson. :lol: as in Castaway, in case anyone didn't pick up on that one...
I bet if I tried, I could make one look like a sunken ship... if anyone is interested in having me make one for them just let me know. Hopefully I'll get a pic up soon enough.

coconut caves

here's a quick doodle of two of my ideas. Hopefully I'll get some real pics up next week. I'll be making one with a bunch of little holes in it for my dad, like I said before I have one like it that my khuli loach lives in. He loves it. I'm making one with one single large opening for this kid with a tarantula but it would be cool for all sorts of fish. You'll see how attractive these are once I get the real pics up...

coconuts.

quite well actually. The one I have in my tank has been there for around a year and, other than a little bit of green on it, it's fine. They're sturdy, easy to clean... i've had mine in there for that long and don't see any potential problems. I don't know if I'll be able to make any extra ones before I go on vacation so it might be a few weeks but I'll send you one fishfreek, and you can get a good look at it then. If you like it you could consider it a minor donation or something...

coconut shells

Finally have a real pic but it's not that good. I used a camera that wasn't digital and the tank has smudges on it... I'll post a better one when I ever get a better pic. If you look through the bottom middle hole you may see my khuli loach there. He died just recently... :cry: but up until then he was very happy in the coconut shell. I can make the shells quite different with many size holes or just one hole to look like a cave. Hopefully I'll get started on one this week that will turn out really cool... you'll see...

Ok, other than getting some better pics up how can I spark a little interest in these? Any suggestions? How about the first person to ask for one will get one sent free..... ?

coconut shell pics...

Here's some new pics my dad finally got to send me. I wish I had some pics of the ones I just recently did. I cut my hand with the rotary saw this last time around so I didn't make too many. The ones I recently did, one has a fish shaped hole in it, a star, and just an opening like a cave on it. The other one has two holes on one side and a smiley face cut into the other side. Here are some pics of the ones at my dads house...
grrrrrrr I just tried to attach several pics but they don't seem to be working. I'll figure something out... grrrr

another pic...

One more, for some reason after I hit add attachment nothing new showed up so I thought it didn't work. But it did...

shells..

I thought I'd get some response from this... no thoughts, comments, anything...
I was thinking of selling the simpler designs, like the ones above, for 4 or 5 dollars + shipping... I plan on making some more complicated ones as well that I might charge a little extra for. I was thinking I could personalize some with names or special designs and such. This weekend I plan on starting one that will look like a rowboat or something... I was thinking I could carve a figure or a person, out of some sort of wood, that would sit in the boad... Just and idea... I mentioned in another post that the first person that asks for one I'll send it to them for free... that way it might help spark some interest, that person can comment on what they think, and I can find out what shipping will be like... Surely someone out there has to have some interest or thoughts for me... They don't have to look as plain as one of the ones above. I can make them with different size or shaped holes... I can cut them the long way instead... I could even leave one whole and make it look like an easter egg or something...

Those shells would look cool in a tank that has sand for substrate.
Kind of like an island theme.

The only problem I can see is someone paying 4-5 dollars+ shipping for something you can get at the grocery store cheaper and DIY.

OK send me one free and I'll give my opinion on it here! PM me if you are serious!

Ok how much would you charge for one that is hut style? Meaning one opening like your MVC-030F.jpg pic above? And now much for shipping to N.C. ? I wouldn't want anything glued to it and no designs. I just want it to be fish safe.

Back
Top Bottom