Wanted: Dwarf Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dyl1234

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am in search of dwarf puffers. Please let me know if you have any available.

i have some, but IME these are very delicate fish that don't do well when shipped. it's better if you can ask your lfs to order some as they have access to breeders and fish vendors/wholesalers

i have some, but IME these are very delicate fish that don't do well when shipped. it's better if you can ask your lfs to order some as they have access to breeders and fish vendors/wholesalers

How much?$

These are wild caught fish, that don't breed in captivity. I doubt anyone has any to sell unless they are looking to rehome one. Also, as was stated before, they are delicate and don't ship all that well. I would see if your LFS can order some for you so that they can recover from shipping and you can look at them before you buy. Or maybe try aquabid, and be sure to pick a seller that has a good rating.

most are indeed wild caught but there's success in breeding them in home aquaria. the only reason why i can't sell you them is because of the shipping condition. they need pristine water all the time, something i can't guarantee even with NextDay ship. i wouldn't want my fellow AA member getting dead fish or my precious puffers that i've kept for so long to die. they're pretty cheap fish, costing around $4-$7 depending on where you're located. but these cute things are not to be fool around when it comes to maintenance. you wouldn't want me to ship you 1-2gal of water with 3-4puffers in it for $60-$80, if not more.

Ok I have contacted my LFS and an employee told me she was going to get her boss to contact me and let me know whether or not he can get some in. That would be a better option because I wouldn't have to pay $30 + for shipping. I guess he will order them in bulk. I really don't care if he sells them for $10. Lol. But they are normally good on their prices. You can get Cory cats for like $1. And also convict cichlids for $1.

i hope you get them. they're absolutely the cutest freshwater fish IMO. you can see my pics in my album. post a picture once you get them:fish2:

Ok and I have done a lot of research on them as well. Another good thing is the tank that they will be going in is full of baby snails.

i hope you get them. they're absolutely the cutest freshwater fish IMO. you can see my pics in my album. post a picture once you get them:fish2:

How many puffers do you have in your 29? And do they do well housed with the other fish?

4, they're pretty lay back with my other fish. the only thing you would have to watch out for is fin nipping. because most of my.fish will fight for themselves when nipped, these puffers wouldn't mess with them

My LFS can't get them but he is ordering me some green spotted puffers! They are $4.50 each.

My LFS can't get them but he is ordering me some green spotted puffers! They are $4.50 each.

Wait a sec - are you prepared to care for those? They need at least 30 gals each, and they need brackish water when younger and do best as adults in saltwater. They will destroy tankmates.

Wait a sec - are you prepared to care for those? They need at least 30 gals each, and they need brackish water when younger and do best as adults in saltwater. They will destroy tankmates.

Yes I am prepared. Thanks for caring about the fish.

Yea I'm doing brackish with GSP and mollies.

Be prepared for the mollies to be lunch. How big is this tank? Because puffers are super messy, you don't want to skimp on tank size. I know from experience. I screwed up with mine and put them in too small of a tank, and even with very diligent maintenance they are stunted, and I feel terrible about it. Thought I was going to be able to upgrade and couldn't. My two are still pretty healthy, never get sick, but they will never reach full size and probably won't live as long as they should.

Also, going full marine will be easier to maintain long term than brackish.

Be prepared for the mollies to be lunch. How big is this tank? Because puffers are super messy, you don't want to skimp on tank size. I know from experience. I screwed up with mine and put them in too small of a tank, and even with very diligent maintenance they are stunted, and I feel terrible about it. Thought I was going to be able to upgrade and couldn't. My two are still pretty healthy, never get sick, but they will never reach full size and probably won't live as long as they should.

Also, going full marine will be easier to maintain long term than brackish.

They are 1 inch in size now. And they will be in a 20 gallon for about 1 month

Ok can anyone tell me the salt that they would recommend GSPs. I guess slowly converting it would be best.

Back
Top Bottom