Female GBR's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would anyone be able to help me out with some?

I work at my LFS but all we ever get in is males, tonight I thought I spotted two pink bellies and bought the fish but when I got home and put the fish in the tank they turned out to be males with shadows on their bellies from the average lighting at the store.

I now have 6 males from things like that happening, and I really dont want to justify the money to have an order shipped from liveaquaria just for a small order.

Does anyone have some females they could spare, or know where I could get my hands on some?

TIA!

I wish I had some here to spare. I only have my 1, and about 6-8 babies (sex unknown). Another thing to look for if you are at the lfs is that on the female, the fins on her underside near the neck (Pelvic Fins) will not reach the anal fin. It's much shorter. The males fins will go past the start of the anal fin. That's another thing to look for. My females pelvic fins are very short and the males go quite a bit past. If you aren't sure on fish anatamy, here's the pic with all the fins listed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelvic_fin

I just got two from my LFS, and I think they are both females, but I'm not sure (I'm now looking for a male!). They are pretty small still (~1") but have the pink bellies, rounded fins and blue spots inside the black spot. They were the last two at the LFS, but they may have more soon, or they'll order them if requested. The LFS is in RI (North Kingstown), not sure where you are in CT but might be worth the drive.

In case it helps: Redding to there would take more than 2hrs, depending on traffic of course.

Maybe you could ask a manager of the LFS if they could get some females? I don't see why they couldn't.

I just ordered 10 GBR's from Aquabid. The guy said he has mostly females, and I could get all female if I wanted. But I decided on this combo: 7 females and 3 males. Think that will do me good, as I have 3 males here. The female is injured, and not eating. It's looking more and more like she's not going to make it.

Lonewolfblue said:
I just ordered 10 GBR's from Aquabid. The guy said he has mostly females, and I could get all female if I wanted. But I decided on this combo: 7 females and 3 males. Think that will do me good, as I have 3 males here. The female is injured, and not eating. It's looking more and more like she's not going to make it.

If you want to give it a try, here's another one of his auctions. This is the same seller I got my 10 through.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwapisto&1152234636

Lonewolfblue said:
Lonewolfblue said:

If you want to give it a try, here's another one of his auctions. This is the same seller I got my 10 through. And he accepts Paypal, which is how I paid.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwapisto&1152234636

Back
Top Bottom