Fs -Indian Almond Leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlackMagic

Aquarium Advice Freak
i got some IAL up for sale if anyone wanna buy some.

pack of 50 only.

-Use of IAL-

Terminalia catappa (also known as Ketapang or Tropical Almond or Sea Almond or Indian Almond) leaves are becoming very popular as a natural medicine and water conditioner for aquarium use. This guide provides 5 suggestions on how to use them.

Introduction

Ketapang or Sea Almond or Indian Almond or Terminalia catappa leaves are known to most, if not all Asian breeders of blackwater tropical fishes, to be one of the best water conditioners to promote healing and breeding. They are known to have anti-bacteria and anti-fungal properties. Bettas are known to be induced to spawn by just putting a few of the leaves into their tank. Fish suffering finrot or injuries (such as spawning injuries) will definitely benefit from having the leaves in their quarantine tank. But they can be used for the usual aquariums too.

When soaked in water these leaves will leach a strong brown dye that is full of organic acids like humic acids and tannic acids. These may be useful for inhibiting many types of bacteria as well as to detoxify harmful heavy metals found in the aquarium.

It is no wonder that these leaves are often called "Miracle Leaves"

How to use these leaves?

There are at least 5 ways of using them in the aquarium (apart from using them as beautiful leaf-litter in terrariums for frogs, hermit crabs, scorpions and snakes).

Method #1: Directly

This method is simple: Simply put the leaves into your aquarium. After 1-3 days, if your leaves are completely soaked, they will be water-logged and sink. Apart from their benefical effects on the water, they will tan the water slightly (to a clear amber) and provide a very natural stream-bottom look to your aquarium.

How many leaves to use? Well, the simple answer is: As many as you like. But the more leaves you put the darker will be the water and the lower the PH will be (though it is unlikely to drop below 6.0). You can even use the leaves as the substrate in the tank together with bog wood or a tree stump with roots to create a fantastic Amazon look for blackwater fishes.

But as a rule of thumb, you may want to use a couple of small leaves or half to a quarter of a large leaf for a 1 gallon (4 litre) betta tank. If you are spawning the bettas, I would recommend sinking one or more leaves (for the female to hide in) and allowing at least one leaf to float. The male betta will probably build its nest under the floating leaf! With the bubble-nest pushing up the leaf, it will float for long enough for the fries to hatch and become free swimming.

If you are using the leaves for a larger tank (say, for tetras, gouramis, arrowanas, apistos, plecos, or shrimps), I would recommend putting 2-3 large (or 4-6 small) leaves for every 25 gallons (100 litres).

You do not really need to change the leaves until they begin to disintegrate in about 3 weeks to a month. In fact, if you have shrimps or plecos, they will devour them when they start to disintegrate.

Method #2: Filter Bag Method

In this method, you will need to get a filter bag (laundry netting or ladies stockings will also do). Crumple up 2-3 large leaves for every 25 gallons, and stuff it into the filter bag. Leave the bag in a compartment of the Overhead Filter near the inlet into the filter. If you use a Canister Filter, leave it in a bottom tray. (Do not simply stuff the leaves into the canister at the top, or you may end up with damaged impellers). The leaves will begin to tan the water in a couple of days. But it will disintegrate over 14-21 days and should be changed.

Remember that when you use filters in the tank, activated carbon will negate any tanning or good properties from the leaves. So the use of activated carbon is not recommended when using Indian Almond Leaves.

Method #3: Soaking Separately.

In this method, you will need a bucket or tub of water. Soak the leaves in the bucket. After a few days, you can pour the very tan water into your tank, and then top up (the bucket) with fresh water.

You can also add a spoon full of salt into the bucket (as preservative), and also run airpump to provide circulation and aeration for better results.

Using this method, you can leave the leaves in the bucket until the water from it ceases to be amber coloured.

Method #4: Brewing Blackwater Extract

This method is described in a separate guide: How to brew your own catappa blackwater extract

Method #5: Tea Cup Method

In this method, you will make Indian Almond Tea using either Indian Almond Teabags or simply using the leaves directly.

If you use Teabags, make sure that the bags are hygenically produced with water insoluble material. You may buy such teabags on Ebay. Most teabags contain only one to one and a half leaf.

Put the teabag or a large leaf crumpled up into a cup, and add hot water. Leave it to cool. The water in the cup will have the appearance of strong tea by the time the water cools. Add what you need into the tank, and keep the rest (together with the leaf or the teabag) in the refrigerator.

Conclusion

Which method is better? It is really up to you!

Remember to wash the leaves thoroughly if they are not already washed by your supplier. If they are washed, just rinse what you need over running water before using them.

Remember that quality leaves that have not been weather-beaten tend to take longer to leach out their beneficial properties, so be patient. If your leaves are weather-beaten, they may leach tannins very quickly, but most of the beneficial properties would already have been washed off by the rain before they are collected.

^^^^the above info is not my, i got it from a good friend of my(the person who sold me the leaves.^^^^

The IAL im selling are 7.5 to 12 inch in H. and 3 to 4 inch in W.
the leaves r sun dry, flat ... these leaves r A+ Quality Leaves.

i only sell 2 Quality leaves. A+ Large and A+ Small

the A+ small r smaller in size from 5 inch to 7 inch H. and 2inch to 3inch W.

-Dosage USE- note: this dosage is for the A+ Large leaves.
2-3 leaves per 25 gallons or Quarter leaves per 1 gallons*more if u want it darker*

*Price on IAL*
a pack of 50 A+ Large r 25 dollar plus $5 shipping
a pack of 50 A+ Small r 10 Dollar plus $5 shipping.

Shipping will be by USPS. Mon - Wed, and Sat only.
I will weigh the package down and ship it as it fit.
if the post cost is more than $5 i will cover the fee.

will post more info later when im free.

size and etc. plus the use of these leaves for ppl who dont know what it do/use for.

I am interested in some of these, the small ones. It won't hurt anything if we use more than recommended for a tank right? I have a 5gal betta tank and am looking to help him get in good condition.

l_a275809f16384c97979c77264b3b31f1.jpg

these r Large Leaves

ok price on leafs have change, i need to make some money fast to order my water pump for my sump. so here it is ...

AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website

check the link.

each bag is 15 dollar, half the price as b4. 15 dollar doesnt inclue shipping fee and paypal fee. ill pay those fee off myself from what i make.

I think maybe you should take a picture with something standard like a coin or a battery to show the size of the leaves.

Also it is a little unclear whether it is 15 flat or 15 + shipping or 15 + shipping + paypal, or 15 + paypal.

Just some stuff I noticed

here :)

Attachments

• l_58f50e6a74b2444f9ab9e707b464058f.jpg
    l_58f50e6a74b2444f9ab9e707b464058f.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 66
  • l_7628deda73304b7998ed1bcce6daff07.jpg
    l_7628deda73304b7998ed1bcce6daff07.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom