Glass Canopy or Top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SittingDuck

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 130 gallon aquarium with the measurments:

72 inches long, 19 inches width, 24 inches deep

I recently moved and lost the top to the fish tank so I don't have a cover at this point. I still have the light fixture and am worried about the water causing damage to the fixture if I install it without a top on.

The tank is over 10 years old and doesn't have any support braces as I see the majority of the newer tanks having. With the origional glass top it came with two plastic sliders and six sheets of glass that when all connected together would make a functional lid to keep the livestock in and keep the water away from the light fixture.

I have been looking online for any vendors or retailers that sell tops only, but the majority of what I find are either total kits or for smaller aquariums. I've found this particular model:

http://www.all-glass.com/products/hoods/index.html

Which I think will work with what I have, but I can't find an online vendor to ship it. The closest store to me that has it is over 1 and a half hours away.

If anyone has any links to online vendors for glass tops or hoods it would be appreciated. My tank is practically useless without one!

Whatcha going to do about air exchange needs? I'd be concerned about heat also. A plexiglass fitted top sounds tight. But I guess you'd have strategically placed vents.

Ruled out the eggcrate?

The same you would do with a glass top... you would leave the back part (where you usually have a skimmer and heater if you don't have a reef) open so that there is about 1 1/2-2" of open space all the way down the length of the tank. You can't get real flimsy plexiglass because after a while the light will bend it unless you brace it with something, but a good piece of lexan or thick plexiglass should do ok. You can get it at lowes for sure. Not really sure where else.

Back
Top Bottom