Wanted: Looking for Red Cherry Shrimp near OH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to get a hold of some Red Cherry Shrimp and I'm not having much luck, I'm looking to get about 30 of them. I've ordered some online and when they arrived, every single one of them was dead. I'd really like to get them locally if possible, or if they have to be shipped, I'd like for them to be shipped from somewhere close to me.

There have to be breeders out there, I'm just having an impossible time finding them. I'd even be willing to drive a couple hours to pick them up -- I live near Cincinnati.

I've asked a couple of LFS-es if they could get some in. I got a call from one yesterday saying they had them, but I went to check it out and there were 5 in the tank, of which only 1 was still alive. Does anyone know somebody who can sells RCS near Cincinnati?

If that doesn't work out, is it even possible to ship RCS without all of them dying? I didn't think it would be this difficult to get RCS, as much as the websites talk about it being common and easy to keep alive...

Thanks for your help.

Any seller / shipper should offer a live arrival guarantee for RCS. They truly are easy shippers and I've only had one batch die out of hundreds that I've sent over the years. That said, we're pretty depleted so I can't offer. Have you checked GCAS.org or the other Ohio clubs?

I'll try GCAS.org . I must not be looking in the right place for local clubs, since I haven't come across that one yet.

My main objective is to just get live shrimp in the tank. I've heard great things about how well RCS ship and everything, but after my most recent experience I decided I would at least attempt to get them locally before I tried ordering again.

Thanks for your help so far,

Do you have any small privately owned LFSs in your area? I have one near me that regularly has RCS and orange bee shrimp and can special order fish/inverts if they know they are wanted by a customer. Might be worth checking out.

I've been to a couple, and I've asked. One in particular said that he hesitates to keep RCS because they don't have their own dedicated tank, so they just get eaten by their other fish before they can sell. I stop by about once a week to see if they have any, but in this particular case he's at the mercy of his "local breeder".

...if only I could talk directly to that "local breeder," this would be easier; but I don't blame the LFS for not letting me bypass them.

Is there some reliable way to find the smaller fish stores that I'm not aware of? The best LFS-es I've been to I just saw while driving to other places, and they aren't advertised anywhere. I'm sure if I talked to enough of them I could find one that could get living RCS in.

im from north west ohio. its about 40min east of findlay which is north of you on i75 i know i can come up with 20 rcs maby 30 if you want to pick them up or meet me close to my house ill sell them to you for $.75 each. i have shipped b4 but it was winter and i had a few not make it because i think they were to close to the heat pack. if you want them shipped make it a $1 and shipping . if your interested pm me maby we can do some trading for some plants if you have some

In Louisville at a shopping
called the summit there is a feeders supply that sells RCS that they bred themselves, however , they wouldn't have thirty, maybe ten. They keep them in a small five gallon tank and they get in new
Shrimp quite regularly.I'm not sure this helps, but happy aquatic adventures!

Through GCAS.org I was able to find a guy within 15 minutes who could sell me RCS. I put them in my tank last night and they are still alive! Thanks for the help everyone.

I have some lots of them!!!! That's just one corner of it!! And I got lots if CRS too and I got about 30-50 berried females

Attachments

• image-4202008444.jpg
    image-4202008444.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 81
Back
Top Bottom