Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Buy | Sell | Trade > Classifieds > Archive
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2003, 01:52 AM   #1
yv1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Need CHEAP aquarium light

Hi,

I am looking for a cheap aquarium light for a truvu 40 gallon....

anything will do, i have live plants so I would need something about 80 watts or so. if anyone, anyone at all out there that has anything sitting in their garage or something please let me know!

Thanks so much!

Old 04-21-2003, 08:03 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Is it a 4' tank? If so, with a little DIY work, you could probably make something with a shoplight. Home Depot has them here...4' twin bulb (80w) for about $10.00. Just a thought if nothing else turns up.
Logan J

Old 04-21-2003, 01:23 PM   #3
yv1
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks logan

i guess it is okay to use just any 80W fixture? If i can find a cheap fixture then can i put specialty bulbs in it? sorry about the dumb questions, im new at this thing.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:17 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
If i can find a cheap fixture then can i put specialty bulbs in it?
What do you mean by specialty bulbs? Do you mean normal flroecent bulbs with a specific spectrum output or do you mean VHO, High Output, or Power Compact florecent bulbs.

If they are standard florecent tubes then ya you can light them in an aquarium fixture or a standard florecent fixture as long as the fixture is rated for the wattage output of the bulbs. If your talking VHO or any other form of florecent then no you would need a ballast designed for that purpose.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:56 PM   #5
yv1
Aquarium Advice Activist

im heading over to Home Depot to see if i can find anything that can hold 80W of power.

I meant normal flourescent bulbs with a specific spectrum output.

im trying not to get into anything fancy shmancy for fear i might destroy my tank or electrocute myself to death. thanks for your help, lets see what home depot has in store for me.

oh also...is there a cheap way to create a hood for the light fixture??? im not exactly a handywoman.

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com