Strange request...crushed coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gena575

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in need of a small bit of crushed coral...like maybe a cup. I can't justify spending almost $40 at my LFS for way more than I need, but I'd be willing to cover shipping plus a few bucks for the cost of it if anyone has some they are willing to ship me. Even a bit of dead/broken coral would work.

I will look when I get home. I bought one to many bags of the stuff and never returned it. I think my dad put it in the shed. If I still have it I can send you some. Where would I be sending it to (state)?

Beginer7,

Thanks for taking a look! I am in Illinois.

Flamingonhot,

I live in a tiny little town LOL. They only had 3 bags of it in stock and wanted $37.99 for 20lbs! I told the owner if he split that bag up and sold it for a few bucks a pound people would be all over it! We have super soft acidic water around here...my kH gets used up in about 2 or 3 days and baking soda barely lasts 12 hours.

Use epsom salt with the baking soda for hardness and buffering of the pH. About 1 Tbsp/5 gallons should be good for a start, see how long that holds up. I keep african cichlids, my tap water is 7.2-7.4. I add 1 tsp baking soda, 1 Tbsp epsom salt/5 gallons to maintain the water conditions.

Sorry I looked in the shed and couldn't find it and my Dad was out of town so I couldn't ask him. He just came back yesterday and he said he gave it to my cousin and her husband when they set up their tank. He said he didn't think I would care since I didn't need it anymore. I did look into it though and liveaquaria has some for $15 for a 15lb bag and $30 for a 40lb bag. You may be able to find some cheaper then that too. Wish I could be of more help and I'm sorry it took so long.

Thanks for trying Beginer! We are headed to a town with more LFS and a Petsmart this weekend...I'm sure I can find it for less than $40 a bag at Petsmart!

A private shop that sell SW fish may give you a cup of it for free. They probably have open bags of it.

I have an extra 15 pound bag if you can't find it. The shipping would run around 20-25 bucks though for the whole bag, assuming a shipping weight of around 17 pounds. If you need it let me know. Here is a link to the stuff I have in case you wanted to know.All I would need is to have the shipping covered. The stuff has sat in my garage for 18 months and I have no need for it since I switched to sand.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=7322&N=2004+113554

Back
Top Bottom