For Sale: Thought id share..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
Found this gem at ocean state job lot! It's a 2 speed 4" fan by Boston.. Only $7!! You can see what it could be used for;) tank stuff of course.. They had a bunch, let me know if you're interested, I'd be happy to share the joy of cool lighting, mine was raising tank.. image-3391975930.jpg image-705619220.jpg Edit- I left the box in my truck, naturally I had to plug it into my inverter in the parking lot to see if it was working/worth it.. I'll post a pic of box soon..

image-2077116646.jpg

Deal!!!!!

Last edited:
Why are you fanning your light? To increase lamp longevity?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, but does fanning/cooling it improve lamp longevity? I think the lamp filament has a constant (burning hot) temperature as opposed to semiconductors which can be effectively chilled, but I'm not an engineer. I'm curious to know the answer.

I gutted the hood and run 4 cfls now, the 26 Watters were running very hot so I had to remove them, the fan allows me to run them.worry free.. not to say the heat was a problem.. just a piece of mind..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool, no pun!

I was looking into this, even open top tanks have a rather warm layer below the tubes. How many degrees better is it? Do you know?

Just interested. One tank I have I think could benefit from this.

It's not creeping up the temp anymore.. it was going from 78.5 to 79.5 over the course of the day.. Baring any outside temp jumps the tank temp stays pretty steady.. it's main benefit is keeping the lighting much cooler..and I think it keeps the airborne cat hair away which is hugeeeee

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Airborne cat fur? Google the product called Furminator. Its a cat comb that removes loose fur. My tiny 6 pound short hair tabby sheds 1 gallon volume of hairballs each spring.

Also I think a fan is just as likely to blow airborne fur into the water versus away from the water...

Back
Top Bottom