WTB: handful of crushed coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnythan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm trying to get my hands on a little bit of crushed coral. No more than a small Zip-loc baggie's worth.

However, the cheapest I can find locally is a several pound bag costing about $15.

Anyone willing to take a small handful of some crushed coral, put it in a zip-loc, and send it to me for a couple of bucks? I'm located around Albany NY.

Just to raise the KH in my freshwater tank. I'd just put a little bit in a baggie in the canister filter.

I shall never doubt the generosity of the community here.

Thanks Larry :)

Why not spend $1.50 on some baking soda? You probably have it around the house already anyway and won't have to wait for it to ship.

Why not spend $1.50 on some baking soda? You probably have it around the house already anyway and won't have to wait for it to ship.
Caution must be excersised with bicarb . It can cause a rapid spike and then preciptation if not dosed properly ... Think he has the right idea just use some crushed coral for it to disolve will help his KH bump up slowly and safely .. :)

Caution must be excersised with bicarb . It can cause a rapid spike and then preciptation if not dosed properly ... Think he has the right idea just use some crushed coral for it to disolve will help his KH bump up slowly and safely .. :)

A rapid spike in.....???? Not sure what you are saying here. What exaclty would spike? The KH? If so, that'd hardly be dangerous? The "worst" that could happen from a slight overdose is that if the tank had tons of ammonium ions present in an initially acidic tank, then the alkaline conditions would move the equilibrium of the tank toward that of ammonia, meaning that ammonium ions would be converted to ammonia, which could kill the fish. The same thing would happen on matter what the source of the raise in the pH. This should be caught anyway if regular water testing is done. If noticed, a simple large water change is all that is needed.

A rapid spike in.....???? Not sure what you are saying here. What exaclty would spike? The KH? If so, that'd hardly be dangerous? The "worst" that could happen from a slight overdose is that if the tank had tons of ammonium ions present in an initially acidic tank, then the alkaline conditions would move the equilibrium of the tank toward that of ammonia, meaning that ammonium ions would be converted to ammonia, which could kill the fish. The same thing would happen on matter what the source of the raise in the pH. This should be caught anyway if regular water testing is done. If noticed, a simple large water change is all that is needed.
Eh I was thinking salt water :rolleyes: Sorry MODS please remove info

Back
Top Bottom