WTB: overflow box w/ prefilter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

I am looking for a hang on overflow w/ prefilter box. This is for a 29 gal that I plan to use a 10 tank for a sump. Something easy, small and cheap.

Let me know if you have anything ...

Thanks.

I don't have any used ones laying around here, but I can get you a new one (U tube type) for around $50 including shipping...not sure if that's what you'd be interested in or not. If you're pretty good at DIY, they aren't too hard to build.

Logan,

Let me ask you this... I have an overflow that came with my amiracle wet/dry. It just did not come with the inside/prefilter box. I do have the tube that runs from the overflow to the sump and the U tube, just not the inside box. Is there a way to use what I have or just get the prefilter box?

Also, the over flow has 2 chambers. One is the drain and has a bulkhead fitting. The other just has a small hole drilled in the bottom. Would not water get in this side and come out the bottom?

Thanks

Hmm...you could probably use that. I can't get just an inside box and, to be honest, I just don't have time to build one right now. I wonder if you could use one of the Lee specimen containers? You'd probably have to trim off the hanger and drill it so you could attach it to your outside box. You'd also have to cut a weir around the top edge. If you try that, be very careful as these things are pretty brittle and will break easily. There were some plans floating around here somewhere on building a complete overflow using the Lee boxes.
On your outside box, will the U tube fit in the chamber that has the little hole in it? If so, I'd probably seal up the hole (silicone should do it) and let the water flow in on that side. Then let it dump over into the other chamber. That will help keep you from losing the siphon if the pump quits because it'll keep the end of the U tube under water even if the other side of the box drains into the sump. Pics would be helpful. Also, do you own or have access to a table saw? How soon are you going to need it?

Here is a pic of the overflow. Any idea why there would be a hole like that? I could not figure it out. We did not pay a whole lot of attention to it at first since we were not going to use the overflow.

I have the 29 gal with water and sand/cc in it right now. It is using a HOB filter at the moment. I have a 10 gal tank and the overflow so I thought I would try to use it. Dunno now. I really don't want to use the HOB again. It will be for a fish tank and maybe some LR. I would like to have LR do the filtering but I have bougt 75lbs for my other tank and not sure I want to buy more :)

The second tank was was do to wanting some non-reef fish :( Maybe I will have to try the baby porupine in the 75gal after all ...

BTW, I dont have the pork yet but that is want I want.

I've seen overflows made like that before. I don't know why they have the extra hole in them. The ones I've seen that were running on tanks had a little blue plug in the hole. I think you could plug the hole and build an internal box. I don't see any problem with using it.

Thanks for the help. I found the write up for the lee's box overflow and it looks like that might work. Should be pretty easy.

Thanks alot!

Back
Top Bottom