5.5 gallon RCS Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacos377

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a little bit of space on a desk in my room and I'm going to try a shrimp colony. I will use plant trimmings from my other tank to get scenery. How many shrimp could thrive in this size tank? What is the best thing to feed them? Optimal Temperature? I've heard RCS are the best for beginners but I'm open to Ideas! I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to invertebrates... Any ideas are appreciated :thanks::fish2::cool:

Iast week i put 10 in a 5 gallon gluval spec with some moss and a couple plants. Been keeping a close eye on the water parameters and all is good. My temp stays around 76/77 degrees. As of today 3 are berried.

The tank was cycling for 6 weeks before with some gravel, java moss, filter media from an established tank before i put them in.

As the population grows ill have to be even more aggressive with keeping an eye on parameters. Once i get some juveniles, ill start transfering shrimps to my 40 gallon

On Friday i added 2 from my 40 gallon tank. Saturday i got 4 from a LFS, Sunday added 4 from another source. I did it like that to get some variety in the blood line. I suppose adding 10 at once would not be too bad as they have a very low bio load. Im sure other more experienced breeders can give you some insite as well

I have 8 in a 5g with a small nano tree and lots of willow moss, water temp is just under 78. They all have good color and are very active.

RCS can be a problem to introduce into a new tank. Deaths are not uncommon. But when they've found their feet they are amazing. One a brood have been hatched in the tank then you should be on a roll.
Generally juvenile RCS take to being moved into a new tank better than adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I started with 15. I have an unheated 10g. Temp runs around 72f. After a few months I had about 100 RCS. Don't overheat RCS if you have a choice.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419162950.136659.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419163009.242047.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine are constantly grazing on the wood and moss...how often to do actually feed your shrimp?

Hi Theresa.
In my main community tank I don't specifically feed my shrimp. They steal enough from the catfish, their favourite being algae wafers.
In my RCS breeder tank, which is bare bottomed but full of free floating moss, I feed an algae wafer when most of the shrimp are in the moss and a few on the bottom, indicating that there is little food to be had lying around. This might be every day or every 2 days. It's very easy to over feed shrimp and turn the tank.

Thanks for the info!

Is there a particular reason your tank is bare bottomed? And what temperature do you keep your breeding tank at?

Hi. I keep all tanks at about 26C/78F. Shrimp can tolerate lower but I believe not any higher. I have my breeding tank bare bottomed so it's easier to clean and I can judge how much food is there. However, the tank is far from bare, it's a mass of floating Moss.
In my main tank I have 'Eco complete' substrate with Malayan Trumpet Snails which clear up any food that gets trapped.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419250548.425492.jpg

ive got a question im planning on getting some shrimps and i was wondering can you feed them Spirulina Algae Wafers?

Also is it alright if i put 15 shrimps in a 5 gallon (20 litre) tank?

I'm new to keeping shrimp so I'm not sure about stocking. I currently have 7 adults and 1 fry in my 5g.

After a bunch of research and advice here I'm planning to feed a wafer every other day.

I'm new to keeping shrimp so I'm not sure about stocking. I currently have 7 adults and 1 fry in my 5g.

After a bunch of research and advice here I'm planning to feed a wafer every other day.

A wafer is too much. Feed a piece. Also offer other foods.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use mini wafers that are just under 1 cm in diameter and remove whatever is left-if anything-at the end of the day.

I started with 10 RCS in my 6 gallon 3 died after a few days, but now i have over around 55. I had 5 preggo shrimp?When u put the shrimp in a few might die after a few days just because they do Good Luck?

Fish_Fan

I lost 2 right away, most likely because I ordered online and the weather here is crazy cold.

Approximately how long was it before you got to the 50+ point?

Back
Top Bottom