Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2021, 07:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Again, PRL new tank

Finally this glass tank is getting built.

Filled with water and wow is it a mess.

This is the substrate and it says don't need to rinse..... really?!!!

Brightwell FlorinVolcanit - Rio Escuro XF

Ideal for shrimp

Black, Extra-Fine Particle (~1mm) Fired Volcanic Ash Base Substrate

https://www.brightwellaquatics.com/p..._escuro_xf.php

I added about a 30 ounce cup of my old substrate which was rinsed with dechlorinated water.

Added a polishing filter pad and already rinsed it out once, going to do it again. And by the looks of it a bunch more times.

This is a basically standard build with what comes with the 12G Edge tank, in white, with my already owned for a long time white stand. So they could match.

I just moved homes, and needed to shut down my PRL cube but the babies were all over and I didn't want to chuck it away with progress being made, but also needed to get the new tank set up and be rid of the cube. Due to cutting back on tanks.

So decided a friend will take the tank and grow out some premium PRL, sell the lower grades which still are really nice, and the culls will go too. Keep the mid grades and for a fun tank and keep breeding the beautiful premium shrimp to earn money and pay for shrimp keeping costs. Win, win, I think.

So captured all the shrimp I could find dividing them between the 2 options mainly, fun PRL tank and (2 culls went to the mixed Bee tank), super nice grade ones went back to the cube.

(Cubes getting picked up next week with about 14 shrimp, all sizes from barely able to see them, they are that small, to berried females and other adults and juveniles.)

As for the others, the fun PRL tank will have nice shrimp but just not the highest grade, also have berried females and all sizes from just hatched to grown. Haven't got their tank clear yet, so not too sure how many, probably about a dozen +.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Rinsed the fine filter polishing pad out a number of times and it is clearing up. Misplaced my API Accu Clear water clarifier. Will look again tomorrow.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Old 05-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow that substrate makes the water cloudier than anything I have ever seen. Is it clearing up yet?
Old 05-03-2021, 08:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

It must have been the bottom of the pile scooped into that bag! It all seemed just like little balls.

Perfect this morning!!! It seems like it is all like little balls still.

Didn't get to use the AccuClear but I did find it. Things are like chaos piled in containers, bags and boxes after removing aquarium supplies from under many tanks, drawers and rooms. Including excess heaters, filters, air pumps, power strips, rocks, wood, etc, etc.! The stuff is so much. LOL.

It looks like my 72G just did after not changing my eco complete substrate for appx 6-7 years, and removing it when I moved it last week!!! EEK!!! (also cleared up with a FX5 perfectly the next day)

Will throw some plants in and put the shrimp in today. They spent the night in a container with their plants and an air bubbler on my desk.

The tap water pH is a little higher than I would normally have in there 7.6, they seemed to be fairly happy around 7. I wish I would have tested the pH in the tank before I moved.

Ran out of RO water for this tank, but added some to the group in the cube tank and they are doing well. Bought 2 gallons of distilled, just in case it's needed. The lfs in town will be open on Wednesday (closed Mon & Tues).

Plan to use a remineralizer with RO in the future. Somewhere I had Salty Shrimp but now it's MIA.

Anyone have a favorite remineralizer?

Maybe I will try Brightwell or SeaChem Equilibrium???

Old 05-03-2021, 09:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

After rinsing the polishing pad numerous times

This morning...

Tags
new tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com