Again, PRL 2021 new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Finally this glass tank is getting built.

Filled with water and wow is it a mess.

60074-albums14852-picture72834.jpg

This is the substrate and it says don't need to rinse..... really?!!!

Brightwell FlorinVolcanit - Rio Escuro XF

Ideal for shrimp

Black, Extra-Fine Particle (~1mm) Fired Volcanic Ash Base Substrate

https://www.brightwellaquatics.com/products/rio_escuro_xf.php

I added about a 30 ounce cup of my old substrate which was rinsed with dechlorinated water.

Added a polishing filter pad and already rinsed it out once, going to do it again. And by the looks of it a bunch more times.

This is a basically standard build with what comes with the 12G Edge tank, in white, with my already owned for a long time white stand. So they could match.

I just moved homes, and needed to shut down my PRL cube but the babies were all over and I didn't want to chuck it away with progress being made, but also needed to get the new tank set up and be rid of the cube. Due to cutting back on tanks.

So decided a friend will take the tank and grow out some premium PRL, sell the lower grades which still are really nice, and the culls will go too. Keep the mid grades and for a fun tank and keep breeding the beautiful premium shrimp to earn money and pay for shrimp keeping costs. Win, win, I think.

So captured all the shrimp I could find dividing them between the 2 options mainly, fun PRL tank and (2 culls went to the mixed Bee tank), super nice grade ones went back to the cube.

(Cubes getting picked up next week with about 14 shrimp, all sizes from barely able to see them, they are that small, to berried females and other adults and juveniles.) (y)

As for the others, the fun PRL tank will have nice shrimp but just not the highest grade, also have berried females and all sizes from just hatched to grown. Haven't got their tank clear yet, so not too sure how many, probably about a dozen +.

Rinsed the fine filter polishing pad out a number of times and it is clearing up. Misplaced my API Accu Clear water clarifier. Will look again tomorrow.

It must have been the bottom of the pile scooped into that bag! It all seemed just like little balls.

Perfect this morning!!! It seems like it is all like little balls still.

Didn't get to use the AccuClear but I did find it. Things are like chaos piled in containers, bags and boxes after removing aquarium supplies from under many tanks, drawers and rooms. Including excess heaters, filters, air pumps, power strips, rocks, wood, etc, etc.! The stuff is so much. LOL.

It looks like my 72G just did after not changing my eco complete substrate for appx 6-7 years, and removing it when I moved it last week!!! EEK!!! (also cleared up with a FX5 perfectly the next day)

Will throw some plants in and put the shrimp in today. They spent the night in a container with their plants and an air bubbler on my desk.

The tap water pH is a little higher than I would normally have in there 7.6, they seemed to be fairly happy around 7. I wish I would have tested the pH in the tank before I moved.

Ran out of RO water for this tank, but added some to the group in the cube tank and they are doing well. Bought 2 gallons of distilled, just in case it's needed. The lfs in town will be open on Wednesday (closed Mon & Tues).

Plan to use a remineralizer with RO in the future. Somewhere I had Salty Shrimp but now it's MIA.

Anyone have a favorite remineralizer?

Maybe I will try Brightwell or SeaChem Equilibrium???

Trying Biofloc and the shrimp, and snails seem to really be liking it. This is the older black Edge Mixed Bee Tank just showing how the shrimp love it.

60074-albums14852-picture72839.jpg

Last edited:
Hey how are the tanks just got back into the hobby it's been a few years lol those crs look very nice

Hi! Welcome back! Link a new thread
about what you're doing below!

I have the 2 tanks now with PRL and PRL parents, CRS now found CBS and a couple Blue Bolts.

I gave my special good breeding PRL to a friend to work with. He got the high quality ones and will cull and keep some sell off some. At some point, I'll get some back and we'll see how it goes.

A couple weeks ago was offered a good deal on some good quality deep BB, but it seems the guy stalled out and may have ditched me, saying he's really busy. I hope that is all and I get to buy them. I suspect he got a better offer.... ??? I'm still working on cutting back the amount of tanks and work to do with them as I'm swamped with other more pressing responsibilities.

This tank's brownish sun shining in algae problem and the green tuft algae poofs are such a hassle. It is getting better. But still plenty of tufts.

This amazing shrimp in the first pic is so beautiful.
60074-albums14852-picture72875.jpg

these are just pretty shrimp.
60074-albums14852-picture72878.jpg

60074-albums14852-picture72876.jpg

There are a couple nicer quality ones which didn't come out to get a pic. Some more of them are a little better than these. Will be time to cull some soon.

Last edited:
I got 5 PRL juveniles look like SS to SSS 3 males and 2 females.

They acclimated after 6 days in shipping, just fine though they were pale after their long journey.

Thought I posted these acclimation pics, but I guess not here.
these are right out of the bag into the container... August 7, 10 days ago.

60074-albums14852-picture72887.jpg

60074-albums14852-picture72886.jpg

Here are some pics from today:

60074-albums14852-picture72898.jpg

Please pardon the poo... apparently it's time for a vac! :oops:
60074-albums14852-picture72897.jpg

60074-albums14852-picture72899.jpg

The pic of the single shrimp, one with the V shapes on the side will likely get moved to the other tank.

Not pictured, is one with a bit of red shadow on the back, also will be moved to the other tank. And one has larger red bands so probably will move that one too.

These are the seconds of the other high grade. After culling the top grade went to a hobbyist for high grade breeding, and these were the seconds of the highest amounts of white.

So the new 5 juvenile shrimp are actually more like the original group. Much more white on the abdomens and a higher grade. I really didn't want to be culling but leaving those in there would be a shame as they others are better quality.

The seconds (or 3rds, culls anyway, lol) out of this group are going to the 30G where there is just maybe 1 or 2 PRL atm. I am keeping it just the PRL culls so that they aren't mixed with the other CRS and Bee shrimp.

And in the event any babies survive they will be PRL as well.

I am looking at moving some fish again from the 30G which might make it a more shrimp friendly environment. Not exactly breeding friendly, just maybe more will survive longer there with less predation.

Now the more, FUN news is I got a group of 6 Boraras Brigittae / Chili Rasbora, and added the one little guy who was left in the mixed Bee tank in there as well. He is definitely the leader of the very busy group, which are swimming all over the tank.

My last batch of Chilis died 9/ 3 survived, and then after I moved there was just this one little guy left. The year before 2020, all 12 Chilis died in QT.

So far the new guys look active and have been feeding them 3x per day. (Today Baby Brine Shrimp) NLS Probiotix small pellets squished to a finer size, and the food for the baby shrimp GlasGarten Baby Shrimp. Very little size pellets. And no doubt they will sample the shrimps food which is like a powder.

Hoping these guys do well. I will probably get more of them next month. It is a store about an hour drive away (lots of nano fish).

It seems they have well fish. Which also cost more, 5.99 instead of 3.99 - but a 5.99 fish that is alive is better than a dead 3.99 fish, Right!?

So I am very pleased to see these guys looking so active. Now it will look like a "fish" tank with something swimming around!

On a side note they had another fish which I really wanted, unfortunately with everything else I have spent on fish stuff for a new build and these, I couldn't afford more, are Sundadanio Axelrodi var. blue.

Not seen in very many stores. Not ever seen them in a box store.

Only seen them at this store and the one I like in Boulder. Used to have a nice group of them and over time they aged out.

And they DID eat shrimplets. As when I switched them to a nano fish tank out of the shrimp tank, the shrimp population shot up immediately! They wouldn't go in this tank, so technically unrelated directly to this tank, but interesting info I thought.

Back
Top Bottom