Almond leaf safe for Nerite snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin35

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I’m trying to create a black water effect for my ember tetras and betta, my embers have been nipping at my betta so I thought this could help. Will this lower the PH to much for the snails? I also put in half a piece of Caprita bark to release tannins. I’ve had them with driftwood before and they seemed fine. Also will adding driftwood drop ph to low or will it only go so far? I have hard water.

Thanks

Doubtful IAL would reduce your pH THAT much... what is your pH?

In using botanicals, add them in gradually. Add a piece and then add another in a week 10 days. Once again it takes a little time for them to break down and reduce pH, so keep checking to see how it is going.

Always it depends on the size /piece, of bark or leaf of what you are adding in comparison to the amount of water you are adding it to. 2.5-3 inch leaves vs, 12-15 inch size Indian Almond Leaves.

Also any other types of things you thinking of adding?

What size is the tank?

What are the water parameters? Sometimes the fish will get aggressive if the water parameters are unsafe.

Can you tell how many males and females of the Ember Tetras you have, frequently people pick out the brightest color of the fish and they are all males.

Oh and for the snails I usually add a Cuttlebone (plain no flavors or colors) into the back of the tank behind a rock or plants.

It will float - let the hard shell be facing up and the soft part down to the water. It could take a week or 2-3 months to sink. It isn't a problem unless it drives you crazy. If that happens to be the case you could drill a hole and anchor it with fishing line to a rock.

The water is safe no ammonia or nitrates as I do regular water changes. All ember tetras are red so I don’t know the sex, the guy at the store just gave me 10, but some are bigger than others. I just added less than the recommendation amount of IAL and half a piece of the bark to my 10 gallon. I’m going to try to catch the ember tetras again today by taking out all the plants. Any tips on catching them will be helpful so they can go back and the betta can live in peace.

It’s definitely around feeding time it’s happening. I went to feed this morning and one nipped his tail before I put the food in. They’re either hungry and thinking his food or getting territorial around food because of hunger. They leave them alone otherwise.

Remove jagged obstacles like DW. If there are floating plants put into bucket.

Don't feed for a day. You might need to remove the Betta for a day to keep from getting nipped from hungry Ember Tetras.

Use an appropriate sized net (black seems to be least noticed with my zillion guppies /Endlers) at least 3-4 times the size of fish. 4" is fine.

I try and be positioned more under and at a 45 degree angle and scoop up. say feed towards the right side of the tank, position in the low center and swoop right and up.

Also when you start - feed just add a few bits of the food to get their attention. Wait to get to them towards the location you want. Often you can swoop up a bunch right before they know what happens.

Option one is patience, and stop at the first scoop - don't chase.

With hoping you have a few, then wait an hour and do the same thing.

The other option which works well is an extra person (but you can do it by yourself) to shoo them towards your net, and swoop up. This is best for when they are onto you and hide when you walk into the room, lol!

Other possibilities is lower water and wait for the fish to go to one corner and scoop.

Another thing is to try and know for sure how many fish you have exactly so you can breathe a sigh of relief after getting them all!

It could take a few days to get them all. I have had to remove the majority of plants and DW and stones to capture fish. But lately I have been getting better at it since there are so many Guppies /Endlers, and fish I have changed around from one tank to the other.

Also you go gently against the glass - you can squash the little guys with a too vigorous attempt.

Making sure the net is squared, otherwise there is sideways escapes.

And there are no holes in the net, lol, all experiential advice!

I got them! It took an hour, it was difficult and one little guy that I didn’t catch until last was not doing that well, he was laying in the sand and I thought he died but once he was with his friends at the aquarium he seemed to be ok, he might of been freaked out without his friends. No more community tank for my betta, can nipping turn to fin rot? He has lost all his fins in the middle of his body and the rest are jagged. I’ve put Indian almond leaf and hope he recovers to his original beauty. He’s an elephant eared betta and his fins were just gorgeous. I won’t listed to everyone who says ember tetras are peaceful, once they got big they started the picking . Cory cats would of been better but I’m not getting any other fish with him, not worth it

If you have a little vac you can clean the substrate. Fluval has a small vac for the Edge (tanks). If you have choices for where to order you might find it on sale or clearance.

When the fish sit at the bottom of the tank the fins spend too much time contacting the bad gunk - tend to get some degrading / fin rot.
Clean out substrate, vac.
Do extra water changes to keep perfect water.
Add a Betta log. They float and the betta can hang out in it off the substrate. And or add som Subwassertang aka Suswassertang and or floating stems, and or a pillow of moss. All things to give him a resting spot off the floor.

If he is not healing, if you don't see fin growing back in a few days. EPSOM Salt is a good healer with excellent water.

I gravel vac every week and he’s in a 10 gallon with sand substrate. I have floating java ferns and almond leaves he’s been resting on. I’m hoping the almond leaves heal him. I can’t do salt in his tank because I have snails, I’d have to remove them and I don’t have another tank right now. I’m hoping the almond leaves work their magic, they’re know for antibacterial properties, but I’ll keep an eye on him. Is it possible his fins fell off because of fin rot? I can’t imagine the ember tetras biting him that much that it’s to the bone, it was hard to notice because it’s the fins directly in the middle of his body, the top, and bottom ones are just frayed and have a red tent to them. Everyone says Ember tetras dot nip so I really did not expect them to be the cause!

Epsom salts is a misnomer, it is actually magnesium sulfate. The kind at the store, pure no additives live fragrance or oils. Therebis avthread I posted about using it. You can use the search feature or I can find and post it here later.

So Epsom salt will not harm my snails or plants? What would the dosage be for a 10 gallon tank? Can I add this to the water in tank? Can I use regular Epsom salt or does it need to be from aquarium store?

I have used this with expensive fish like my ~ $50 Imported Betta from Thailand - he didn't cost $50 but all the $$ I spent to get him here. $25.00 Black Orchid Betta, numerous other Bettas and including their tank mates. Nerites, Ramshorns, Mystery Snails, Bladder and Pond snails, as well as many other tropical fish, like Cories, Gourami, Neons and similar, Guppies, Goldfish, & more.

Thread if interested about the Thai Betta
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/importing-a-thai-betta-the-experience-367697.html

A lot of the information is in this thread - link below

Using Epsom Salt (aka Magnesium Sulfate) in fish therapy

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/using-epsom-salt-in-fish-therapy-374191.html

It is found at the grocery store or pharmacy usually in a bag or box, in the first aid or laxative section.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Brand...+amazon&qid=1600401877&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-20

In your case it sounds like a lot of fin is missing. This sounds fairly serious. About how much fin is gone ?

I’ve heard almond leaf does the same thing, I’m thinking of adding more as it made the water a tea yellow and I really want it dark brown with tannins for his recovery. Part of his fin is totally gone to the bone so I may just put him in his cleaning bucket and do a Epsom salt dip until he heals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so it is safe to iusvadd to my 10 gallon? What is the dose??

Again - this is the thread for using Epsom salts
it explains it in the post.

You can use the treatment in your tank, no problem, or a hospital tank.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/using-epsom-salt-in-fish-therapy-374191.html

You might need medication for his infection if it has progressed this far though. I used (Seachem) Kanaplex. kanamycin is the active ingredient / medication.

If the water changing and Epsom salts works and the fin grows back then you may not need medication. But I wouldn't wait more than a couple days to see the fin growing back, if it does get WORSE then use medication.

Call around and find our who stocks it just so you know where to go asap if needed.

Thanks. I’m using Indian almond leaf as a medication for him as it apparently works just as well as medication with less stress. IAL has antifungal and antibacterial properties, so I hope he heals well, he’s eatinG and swimming around fine. . The fin damage was from ember tetras who have been brought back to the store, I had no idea they were nipping him and I kept removing things from the tank thinking he was tearing his fins.

Just keep watch. Reiterating, if the fins do not look like they are healing pretty soon or looks worse, medication is a last resort but also can save the fish's life. Hope all is well.

Back
Top Bottom