Amano shrimp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcourts

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have not made an appearance since I put them in!! I have only seen one out of four since I put them in yesterday!!! Is this normal?!,!

Since yesterday. I moved my java moss around and three of them scattered!! Are they always this shy??

Have not made an appearance since I put them in!! I have only seen one out of four since I put them in yesterday!!! Is this normal?!,!

Tell you what, I added 3 Amano's a little over a month back ( I think one died, not certain).

About 3 weeks ago, after adding 2 bamboo shrimp, I saw one Amano pop out of a rock pile and go back in. This Thursday, I decided to get two more Amano's (along with 5 more ghost shrimp). Last night ... To my surprise ... I saw 4 amano's! The two I just purchased and 2 of my original three.

Moral of the story, Bamboo's don't bother to hide, ghosts scamper around, but you can spot a couple. Amano's are masters at hiding.

I think its normal cause two weeks ago i added like 20 rcs in to my 20g tank and I only saw like 4 of them out the next day. I was freaking out cause I was thinking they died or something lol.

This all makes me feel better!! I had some ghost shrimp in my 20 and they were always out!! And I always see two or three of my rcs big wasn't sure on these guys as they are my first!!

I have 6 Amano's in my 50g community tank.

Have had them around 3months. I see them more now than in the beginning. They tend to come out more once lights turn off.

image-2374434088.jpg

Jon

Yeah the one I saw last night was after I turned the light out. So would there be a problem if I put my rcs in there too or would there be problems? I
It's temporary till I get a divider for my 20g for both my bettas. They are in with my white betta(Stanley:)) right now...their 5g will be converted to a shrimp tank after the divider:)

Lol!! Yeah the rcs are. So far so good I just don't want them to be a snack. He leaves them alone but it still makes me nervous:/

That could be one of the reasons why they aren't out. Other fish tend to leave ghost shrimp alone more than any other types of dwarf shrimp in my experience and from what I have read.

I never really had them. Only ones I had was ghost shrimp and RCS which I am working on trying to breed them. How big are the amanos in your tank?

They are about half an inch. They get bigger though right?? That is what I have found in researching:) there are no other shrimp in my tank that they are in. There are juvenile angels though and they have paid zero attention to them when they do occasionally come out and zero interest as I was acclimating them. They were more worried with the other two juvie angels I was acclimating;)

Yah they are suppose to get a little over an inch. And yah the angels shouldn't bother them.
Yet...I heard angels are aggressivefish and they get pretty big. so right now they won't come after them but maybe later down the road.
I did some research back then when I was wanting to put ghost shrimp in my 10g tank with bigger fish that grows about 2 and a half fish. And I was told to just make sure I keep the big fish well fed so they won't go after any of my shrimps for a quick snack. Which made sense to me. So u might wanna do that. Or get them out so u don't have to worry.

Yeah that's what I was thinking and the piglets get fed regularly. They like to chase each other and are amazed by my snails but leave everyone else alone. I have other options for the shrimp if a problem arises:) hopefully these guys venture out more the bigger they get:) thanks so much for you help:)

No problem :).
Also are u planning on breeding them?
Cause I am trying to find another type of shrimp to put in my tank with my rcs. So I was thinking amano shrimps. I just don't know if they are easy to breed lol.

I have no idea!! I am new to the shrimp! I am prob going to pick up a few more from my lfs tomorrow! If they do breed you are more then welcome to them:) I did shake the moss and they all came out for a while. Pretty neat little critters:)

Back
Top Bottom