Amano Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripedBandit

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have always wanted to have shrimp in my aquarium, but never actually done it. I just enjoy watching them, and from what I under stand, they do a good job of cleaning algae and leftover food. I'm worried about them getting eaten though. I have a Rainbow Shark, Zebra Loaches, and my newest additions, Bolivian Rams. Would any of my current fish eat them? There are plenty of (fake) plants in there along with a bunch of driftwood, so there are more than enough places to hide. If these aren't a good choice, are there any others?

There is a very good chance that the shrimp could become snacks. If you can find some good sized amanos, you could give it a try and see how it goes. If they are large enough, and there is enough cover, it could work out.

As far as choices, I would consider amanos the choice with the best chance of success since they tend to be larger than most of the FW shrimp species out there that are commonly sold and kept in aquariums. Red Cherry Shrimp for example would almost certainly be eaten.

Large enough Amano Shrimp should work, given enough cover, DW, Rocks and Plenty of Plants. It's the Rams that would be the most concern. In fairness, I have Amano's in a tank full of Barbs and they just swim past the Amano's.

Yeah I agree - definitely worth a try if you can find some decently sized amanos, which they usually are.

Okay cool. Finding them might be a little difficult, but it's worth a shot. The only shrimp I have seen locally are Bamboo Shrimp. Would those be okay if I couldn't find any Amanos?

Yes, they would be an OK second choice, if you can find some larger specimens.

Bamboo shrimp require an established filter as they are filter feeders, and the organisms they eat do colonize established tanks.

Bamboo Shrimp do get noticeably larger than Amano's. My smallest is about the same size as my largest Amano.

I agree, established is better, but you offer supplemental feedings. I think they get to around 3" don't they j?

One of my lfs has a few larger individuals. My tank is established, but i just got a new filter a couple weeks ago. I'm going to try to get the amanos though.

I agree, established is better, but you offer supplemental feedings. I think they get to around 3" don't they j?

My largest is about 2.5 inches so yeah 3 inches isn't out of the question.
Mine just hangout ALL day, EVERY day by the output of one AC-70, so I don't bother with supplemental feedings.

Later you should also try Gabon Shrimp, also a very interesting looking filter feeder. Ive got a pair and they are hilarious to watch.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll definitely be looking into the aforementioned species. i have a few other fish that I'll be adding and then I will hopefully be getting some shrimp in there.

Back
Top Bottom