Amano Shrimp suicide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wetfarticus

Aquarium Advice Activist
I feel like I am posting a lot of stupid questions on here so forgive me for doing it again.

Recently got 3 Amano Shrimp and they are doing fine. This morning however, I came in to find one laying on the floor in front of my tank.
I had removed the glass canopy as the temp of the water was getting as high as 79 degrees. Without it, it stays around 76-77. I had concerns about my snails escaping, but I never thought a shrimp would jump out. I didn't even know that was possible.
Is this normal?
Should I put the lid back on?
Am I going to need a chiller?
This is concerning. I don't like losing these guys. Didn't realize how easily attached I could get to the lives of the critters I put in my aquarium.

I've heard that shrimp have a proclivity to climb out and get all dried out. I think by keeping the lid on, you'll be able to avoid the others following the same path. I'm not sure how to correct the temperature, though.
I'm so sorry to hear about your shrimp. I get awfully attached to my critters, too. I hope this helps :)

I feel like I am posting a lot of stupid questions on here so forgive me for doing it again.

Recently got 3 Amano Shrimp and they are doing fine. This morning however, I came in to find one laying on the floor in front of my tank.
I had removed the glass canopy as the temp of the water was getting as high as 79 degrees. Without it, it stays around 76-77. I had concerns about my snails escaping, but I never thought a shrimp would jump out. I didn't even know that was possible.
Is this normal?
Should I put the lid back on?
Am I going to need a chiller?
This is concerning. I don't like losing these guys. Didn't realize how easily attached I could get to the lives of the critters I put in my aquarium.
I think it was an accident. They must be energetic? My corydoras hop out of the water sometimes.

I think it was an accident. They must be energetic? My corydoras hop out of the water sometimes.

Oh no, I gotta worry about my Corys doing that too. I figured maybe the Rasboras or even the Platies. Never imagined the Corys would jump.

Oh no, I gotta worry about my Corys doing that too. I figured maybe the Rasboras or even the Platies. Never imagined the Corys would jump.
They do that jump thing kind of like dolphins at amusement parks. I think they are trying to breathe?

Yes shrimp are known to jump, at least amano shrimp are. I didn't have a problem though until I unknowingly added plants treated with pesticides. I've read that they are much more likely to jump if there are problems with the water. Are all parameters good? Ammonia and nitrite zero?

Yes shrimp are known to jump, at least amano shrimp are. I didn't have a problem though until I unknowingly added plants treated with pesticides. I've read that they are much more likely to jump if there are problems with the water. Are all parameters good? Ammonia and nitrite zero?

PH = 7.1
Amonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5 ppm

Hmm parameters are good, perhaps the amano just felt like going for a stroll. I'd put the lid back on for sure. 79° should be fine for most fish, but if you'd like it lower maybe a new heater?

When I'm catching these guys to sell, there seems to be about a 50% chance that they'll jump out of the container during the bagging process. They're so quick too!

When I'm catching these guys to sell, there seems to be about a 50% chance that they'll jump out of the container during the bagging process. They're so quick too!

I have noticed that ever since pulling the lids off and subsequently lowering the temp by 3 degrees, all the fish are much more active.

Umm lower the water levels to this tank and put a little spot on the side of the tank where the shrimp can get out dry off? I have one for my red cherry and it works because like 3 jumped out in the first week after i added that they stopped

Umm lower the water levels to this tank and put a little spot on the side of the tank where the shrimp can get out dry off? I have one for my red cherry and it works because like 3 jumped out in the first week after i added that they stopped

I had no idea they would come out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom