any advice for maintaining a "stable" environment for shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the-chad

Aquarium Advice Regular
In regards to neocaridina I have come across several references stating that stable water parameters tend to be more important than the parameters themselves when it comes to having happy healthy breeding colonies.

Wouldnt each water change alter the tanks parameters?

Im struggling to get my cherries to breed, right now I know my tds needs to come down a bit (its at 325. How do I lower it without drastically altering my kh (5) gh (7) and ph (7.8).

Ive also noticed some people dont do any water changes, and just top off the tank when needed. Others insist on weekly water changes.

So whats the best way to maintain a "stable" shrimp tank?

Water changes will only change the parameters of the tank if the new water isn't matched to the tank water. Cherries are pretty bullet proof anyway. It's the more sensitive shrimp you have to be more carefull with. Is there any fish in with the shrimp?

No fish except for a few platy fry I just added today.

Ok, I was thinking babies may have been eaten but obviously not then. All cherries I have had breed like rabbits in all my tanks.
One thing I would say is do water changes, not just top up evaporation, as you are only adding more minerals, not taking any away, which will push up the hardness etc. I don't think I can be much more help than that I'm affraid. Hopefully someone else can help

I have a 5.5 gallon shrimp tank. Didn't do a water change in 2-3 months. One day I decided to do one as gunk was building up in the gravel. Did a small one. All my adults decided to keel over and die over 2 weeks. Not sure if the water change had anything to do with it. If not, it was an odd coincidence......

Ive seen people have success with minimal and maxium water changes. Shrimp like stable but also clean water. Having a feeding and cleaning schedule you stick to will be a good first step in gaining stable waters. After this you can work on specifics.

In regards to neocaridina I have come across several references stating that stable water parameters tend to be more important than the parameters themselves when it comes to having happy healthy breeding colonies.

Wouldnt each water change alter the tanks parameters?

Im struggling to get my cherries to breed, right now I know my tds needs to come down a bit (its at 325. How do I lower it without drastically altering my kh (5) gh (7) and ph (7.8).

Ive also noticed some people dont do any water changes, and just top off the tank when needed. Others insist on weekly water changes.

So whats the best way to maintain a "stable" shrimp tank?

Relatively small consistent water changes and water temp should do the trick in keeping water parameters stable. In my 20gal long, I'll swap out 2-3gallons twice a week. When I do the filter cleaning is when I'll do a 5gal PWC ... so figure about 25% PWC a week. I don't do 50% PWC if the colony is healthy and breeding.

Back
Top Bottom